Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

guessing baby weight with sono

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  • 17 Replies
So at 36 weeks i had a sono n the doctor said that the baby weighed 4 lbs14ozs. Although I still have a few weeks This is unusual having such a small baby to me. This is our fourth pregnancy. None of the other babies weighed less than 8 lbs, im very healthy, all vaginal deliveries no problems with baby nothing so im having trouble trying to make sense of this. She estimated our baby to be around 6 pounds or so. Im just curious to know what could be the reason for the baby being so small if this is the case.
by on May. 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry : ) Those are not always accurate. They told me my DD was going to be 5lbs and she was 6lbs. They told me my son was going to be 10lbs and he was barely 8lbs, lol

amberklo
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol at 36wks they said my 5th was 7lbs 14oz.He was born at 39wks at 6lbs2oz. Ultrasounds can be very off
mommyhonu
by Mary on May. 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

agreed .. the sono isn't all that accurate and at best it's a guesstimation.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I wouldn't worry : ) Those are not always accurate. They told me my DD was going to be 5lbs and she was 6lbs. They told me my son was going to be 10lbs and he was barely 8lbs, lol

RaLeighsMommy11
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I know sonograms can be off in weight but they were always right on with mine. They said dd weighed 7 lbs 3 ounces and she was born 2 days later at 7 lbs 4 ounces. They guessed my son to weigh around 6 1/2 pounds and he was born the same day at 6 lbs 8 ounces so some of them can be accurate. All babies grow at their own pace it's nothing to worry about :)! She may just be the little peanut of the family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
All babies grow at their own pace. Sonos
Can be off by a lot!
NDADanceMom
by on May. 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
They said my baby was 9 and a half pounds on my 36 week sono. 4 weeks later out popped a 6 pound baby
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Ultrasounds can be so off.  This is why I don't do late term ultrasounds.

kcole86
by on May. 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM
That's a huge gap, I guess i will try n relax knowing that information and just wait n see. Btw was the baby a girl or boy because i also read that boys weight can change drastically from now until delivery more so than girls

Quoting NDADanceMom: They said my baby was 9 and a half pounds on my 36 week sono. 4 weeks later out popped a 6 pound baby
booaura
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2014 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Those are very inaccurate. At 34 weeks with both previous babies, they were estimated to be more than 7 lbs. They were born 1 week and 2 weeks later, and weren't even 6 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 4:51 AM
1 mom liked this
A family friend just had a baby that was a few oz over 8lbs. The baby per sonogram should have been 10+lbs
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)