Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

If you had a baby at 32 or 33 weeks... piog

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
  • 15 Replies

How long were they in the NICU and what issues did they have?

I had my first baby and my first set of twins at 34 weeks and they all spent just under 2 weeks in the NICU. The only issues they had were learning to eat and breathe at the same time - when they would eat, their O2 sats would drop. Other than that, they were perfect.

Now I'm 32 weeks with twins again and I have been having some problems with preterm labor and high blood pressure and I just have a feeling they are going to come before 34 weeks and I have no idea what to expect if that happens.

Our NICU is 2 hours away - OSU Medical Center in Ohio. So when we have babies in NICU it's hard to go back and forth to see them often with DH's work schedule, the other kids at home and not having much help with child care. So I'm really hoping to get at least 2 more weeks in before I deliver but I just feel like I won't make it that far.

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jenbah81
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the hospital. I had a 32 weeker last year...got both steroid shots 10 and 11 days before delivery. She had zero breathing issues...never needed any oxygen. The main reason she was in there was to grow and learn to eat. Our hopsital policy is no bottle feeds until 34wks so she was 2 1/2 weeks old before they even start. Your hopsital policy could be different. After one week of introducing the bottle gradually she came home at 3 1/2 weeks old. I am sorry you will have to deal with the commute. It was a huge pain doing it with 3 at home and only a 20min commute...I don't know how I would have handled more kids and the longer drive. I hope they stay in for you! Maybe they will hold off a lot longer than you are hoping for and no stay will be needed. :)

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Generally babies are in NICU until "term".  So at 32 weeks would would expect a 4-8 week NICU stay.  That being said...you will have babies that do very well and are discharged earlier.  Then you will have babies who struggle and having more issues than expected and stay longer.  The rule of thumb is to "term".  At 32ish weeks you are going to see some respiratory issues, feeding issues, weight issues, body temp issues...

I can't believe a PP had a hospital with a policy to not start feeds until 34 weeks.  That's so outdated...I feel bad for the babies in that NICU.  There are plenty of 32 weekers who can eat orally...plenty.  It's a shame because unless there was a real medical issue...sounds like that hospital ended up delaying the discharge of your baby with outdated policies.  

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a bump for you

jenbah81
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM
To be honest I am not really too worried about it. For her to come home at 36wks didn't seem all that bad to me. There are still quite a few hospitals that wait until 34wks still. It doesn't seem to unreasonable for them to want to be safe and not push them. That is just me though. And I don't feel bad for the babies there. I spent a lot of time up there during her 3 1/2wk stay and they took the most excellent care of the babies. Just bc of a policy wouldn't make me feel bad forthe babies. Their care is what is important to me.

Quoting IrishIz:

Generally babies are in NICU until "term".  So at 32 weeks would would expect a 4-8 week NICU stay.  That being said...you will have babies that do very well and are discharged earlier.  Then you will have babies who struggle and having more issues than expected and stay longer.  The rule of thumb is to "term".  At 32ish weeks you are going to see some respiratory issues, feeding issues, weight issues, body temp issues...

I can't believe a PP had a hospital with a policy to not start feeds until 34 weeks.  That's so outdated...I feel bad for the babies in that NICU.  There are plenty of 32 weekers who can eat orally...plenty.  It's a shame because unless there was a real medical issue...sounds like that hospital ended up delaying the discharge of your baby with outdated policies.  

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Coming home at 36 isn't bad....and it is great she came home so quickly.

The reason I feel sorry for those babies is because that policy of having to wait until a blanket period of 34 weeks is outdated and doesn't even come close to personalized care.  We know that MANY babies are ready for oral feeds long before 34 weeks.  I feel sorry for those babies because they aren't being given the chance to feed normally, they aren't being given the chance to get home sooner, they aren't afforded the opportunity for breastmilk during stages where it is so very important.  

I come at this as an RN and an IBCLC.  It may seem like it isn't a bad policy to those not in the field...but it is a bad policy and it is a shame for the babies.  I actually makes me wonder what other backwards policies they have.  Sadly, a lot of hospitals in the US are NOT up to date on science and medicine and have outdated policies.  Parents with children in these hospitals many times either don't know there is better or don't really have the ability to fight for better because there are few options in the area.  It really is sad because while they may have given great care otherwise...their policies are not current.

I myself have been in a level 3 NICU feeding a baby who was not anywhere near 34 weeks... 

Quoting jenbah81: To be honest I am not really too worried about it. For her to come home at 36wks didn't seem all that bad to me. There are still quite a few hospitals that wait until 34wks still. It doesn't seem to unreasonable for them to want to be safe and not push them. That is just me though. And I don't feel bad for the babies there. I spent a lot of time up there during her 3 1/2wk stay and they took the most excellent care of the babies. Just bc of a policy wouldn't make me feel bad forthe babies. Their care is what is important to me.
Quoting IrishIz:

cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jun. 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any experiance with this but I will keep you and your babies in my thoughts and I hope they will stay in there as long as possible for you ((hugs))

MMerrill
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It honestly depends on so many factors that are not known until after birth!  

The earliest babies can be released from the NICU is 34 weeks and that's IF they don't encounter any other preemie related problems like brain bleeds, ROP, PDA, etc.

At around 32 weeks, they would more than likely need some respiratory support, they would probably need a feeding tube until their suck-swallow-breath reflex matured enough for them to begin to eat on their own (which usually happens around 34 weeks).  And depending on their birth weight, they might need more time in the NICU to gain enough weight to hold their body temp up if they are on the smaller side.

It's just so different for every preemie!  Hopefully you stay pregnant much longer but if not, hopefully they just need a little growing time and nothing too serious!!

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

christina122952
by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:25 PM
Bump
Mom2five87
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Thanks. They're both measuring at about 5 lbs so that's a good thing! I just hope we can keep them in until 34 weeks.

Quoting MMerrill:

The earliest babies can be released from the NICU is 34 weeks and that's IF they don't encounter any other preemie related problems like brain bleeds, ROP, PDA, etc.

At around 32 weeks, they would more than likely need some respiratory support, they would probably need a feeding tube until their suck-swallow-breath reflex matured enough for them to begin to eat on their own (which usually happens around 34 weeks).  And depending on their birth weight, they might need more time in the NICU to gain enough weight to hold their body temp up if they are on the smaller side.

It's just so different for every preemie!  Hopefully you stay pregnant much longer but if not, hopefully they just need a little growing time and nothing too serious!!

MMerrill
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hopefully that's pretty acurate!  At 5lbs they would be holding their body temps like champs :O)

Try and stay positive mama!  My son was born at 28 weeks, I know it's scary and hard having preemies at any gestation!

Quoting Mom2five87: Thanks. They're both measuring at about 5 lbs so that's a good thing! I just hope we can keep them in until 34 weeks.
Quoting MMerrill:

wedding countdown

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN