Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How many outfits does a baby actually need?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 49 Replies

Help! I'm having a baby in five weeks and we're trying to make sure we have enough clothing for her. We're first time parents so we're totally lost. I feel like we have enough, but then I get people telling me how I'll be changing her clothes three to five times a day and I'm not so sure anymore. For newborn-3months I have:

4 sleeper gowns

3 jammies

8 onsies

4 pants

millions of socks and hats.

Is this enough, or not?

by on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
harleigh07
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM
I would get a bunch of plain colored onsies. I remember having to change my DS a million times a day. Mostly cuz the smell of spit up would make me gag and it will keep you from doing laundry every day.

I ended up having about 4 onsies per day. But again that's cuz I couldn't stand baby being in them with spit up on it. Lol. Plus sometimes baby might poop or pee thru diaper.
JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Well, you probably won't change her that often every single day, but there are definitely days when you go through a lot of outfits, especially if you happen to have a baby who spits up a lot. You might want to invest in some more onesies, at least. Really, it just depends on how often you want to do laundry.

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM

That's a good point. And I could just go pick up a five pack of plain onsies at Target for a few bucks. I definitely don't see myself letting my daughter hang out in a onsie covered in spit-up either. Thanks!

Quoting harleigh07: I would get a bunch of plain colored onsies. I remember having to change my DS a million times a day. Mostly cuz the smell of spit up would make me gag and it will keep you from doing laundry every day. I ended up having about 4 onsies per day. But again that's cuz I couldn't stand baby being in them with spit up on it. Lol. Plus sometimes baby might poop or pee thru diaper.

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Depends on how often you want to do laundry and how barfy/explosive your baby is. That would probably last half a week of not washing anything, if your baby even wears clothes every day. Nothing wrong with a baby wearing just a diaper at home in the summer. My kids still wear just underwear sometimes, no matter how often I put their clothes back on. Also, more clothes will probably turn up as relatives visit your baby.
kmeow
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I'm pretty terrible at keeping up on laundry, so I'll definitely go pick up a few packs of cheap onsies. I never think about that kind of stuff. As a big person, I just go through one outfit per day. I forget the needs of the little people are different.

Quoting JessiFaye:

Well, you probably won't change her that often every single day, but there are definitely days when you go through a lot of outfits, especially if you happen to have a baby who spits up a lot. You might want to invest in some more onesies, at least. Really, it just depends on how often you want to do laundry.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Until baby grows into the next size it could work. Also depends on how many times baby spits up or explodes out of diaper all over the clothes and how often you want to wash clothes. But if washing clothes often doesn't bug you go for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
harleigh07
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM
You're welcome! Oh and also the pjs 3 would be fine but just remember baby may stil pee thru them at night.

And get at least 2 pairs of bed sheets. I had 3. Cuz if baby does pee thru you can just change it fast. And I would recomend a pee pad between the fitted sheet and mattress.

Quoting kmeow:

That's a good point. And I could just go pick up a five pack of plain onsies at Target for a few bucks. I definitely don't see myself letting my daughter hang out in a onsie covered in spit-up either. Thanks!

Quoting harleigh07: I would get a bunch of plain colored onsies. I remember having to change my DS a million times a day. Mostly cuz the smell of spit up would make me gag and it will keep you from doing laundry every day.

I ended up having about 4 onsies per day. But again that's cuz I couldn't stand baby being in them with spit up on it. Lol. Plus sometimes baby might poop or pee thru diaper.

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Another good point. I'm in Kansas and probably won't be taking the baby out in hundred degree summer days on any kind of a regular basis, so I'm pretty much guaranteed two months of inside days. It didn't even occur to me that I didn't have to dress baby eevery day until just now. I'm such a newbie.

Quoting Rhodin: Depends on how often you want to do laundry and how barfy/explosive your baby is. That would probably last half a week of not washing anything, if your baby even wears clothes every day. Nothing wrong with a baby wearing just a diaper at home in the summer. My kids still wear just underwear sometimes, no matter how often I put their clothes back on. Also, more clothes will probably turn up as relatives visit your baby.

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Haha yes, they can be needy. Another thing to keep in mind is that newborn sized clothing often doesn't fit babies for very long (this obviously depends on how big your baby is). My son is long and skinny; he was out of newborn sleepers in about two weeks, and out of the onesies in three. So he almost immediately went into 0-3 and 3 months sizes.

Also, if something is labeled as 3 months, that typically means they can wear it UP TO 3 months. That mixed me up so bad at first! For example, I was getting my son 9 month stuff from Carter's thinking it would be December by the time he could get into it, and then I realized it was really the sizing for 6-9 months, meaning I needed some warmer weather clothes as well. He will be three months old next week, and already fits in 3-6 and 6 months clothes. So keep that in mind! They grow like weeds, and all at different rates! 

Quoting kmeow:

I'm pretty terrible at keeping up on laundry, so I'll definitely go pick up a few packs of cheap onsies. I never think about that kind of stuff. As a big person, I just go through one outfit per day. I forget the needs of the little people are different.

Quoting JessiFaye:

kmeow
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Only two of my jammies are newborn sized. My sleeper gowns are one size and onsies are all 0-3. I wasn't really aware about the sizing though. I raided Gymboree clearance planning way far ahead seasonally. I'm going to be so pissed if she grows out of Christmas outfits by October! Why did no one tell me this until just now?!?!

Quoting JessiFaye:

Haha yes, they can be needy. Another thing to keep in mind is that newborn sized clothing often doesn't fit babies for very long (this obviously depends on how big your baby is). My son is long and skinny; he was out of newborn sleepers in about two weeks, and out of the onesies in three. So he almost immediately went into 0-3 and 3 months sizes.

Also, if something is labeled as 3 months, that typically means they can wear it UP TO 3 months. That mixed me up so bad at first! For example, I was getting my son 9 month stuff from Carter's thinking it would be December by the time he could get into it, and then I realized it was really the sizing for 6-9 months, meaning I needed some warmer weather clothes as well. He will be three months old next week, and already fits in 3-6 and 6 months clothes. So keep that in mind! They grow like weeds, and all at different rates! 

Quoting kmeow:

Quoting JessiFaye:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN