Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

baby too young for....

Posted by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 27 Replies

fireworks???? we all know july 4th is coming up and i know my boyfriend and his family will want our son to stay up and/or at least come out with us in his stroller to be included in the watching of all these magnificent fireworks..blah, blah, blah..   i would be perfectly content staying home with our son so as to keep his nightly routine/bedtime on track. however, i know that i have no choice in the matter (which is obsurd because i'm his mother!). so, how can i deal with this? should i be looking at this as a nice family activity even though our son prob won't be awake for it? i'm always worried about the loudness of the fireworks for a baby's ears.. they hurt my ears for goodness sake!!  any of you taking your little ones (like, little little ones like my son's age) and feeling okay about it??

by on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My son will be almost four months old, and we won't be going to any fireworks. We will just watch them on tv.

Stand your ground. You're the mother, and if you don't want to take him, don't take him. Don't let your family push you around.
KelliansMom
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
We wil be taking our family to the fireworks but I have an older son too. Where we sit the booms are really not that loud so I'm not worried about baby.
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure how old your son is, but I took my daughter to see fireworks when she was about 4 months old.  She slept through them.  I don't do routines or bedtimes before a year so that wasn't a concern, and I wasn't going to make my older children miss out.  I put her in my sling and she was fine.  

amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Quoting JessiFaye: My son will be almost four months old, and we won't be going to any fireworks. We will just watch them on tv. Stand your ground. You're the mother, and if you don't want to take him, don't take him. Don't let your family push you around.

i know, i know.. it's hard with his family though. my family is 15 hours away, so they have no input about this. ya know, i'm sure our son will prob be fine if he goes, but i just don't see the point (especially since he'll prob be sleeping since the fireworks won't be until 930 or 10pm)..   :/    i'm sure i'm fighting a losing battle with this one... 

amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I'm not sure how old your son is, but I took my daughter to see fireworks when she was about 4 months old.  She slept through them.  I don't do routines or bedtimes before a year so that wasn't a concern, and I wasn't going to make my older children miss out.  I put her in my sling and she was fine.  

oh sorry; he's 8 months old. yeah he's got a schedule, but it's a rather loose one. but, if we go, i really don't know how i'm going to go about handling his bedtime routine..   i'm gonna be trying to figure this out until july 4th!! lol     

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, I've taken 9-10 month olds too, but again, we don't do bedtime routine's until after a year.  I was still nursing my children to sleep at that age, and once in a great while doing something different isn't going to hurt.

Quoting amybrg86:

Quoting JadeTigr7:

oh sorry; he's 8 months old. yeah he's got a schedule, but it's a rather loose one. but, if we go, i really don't know how i'm going to go about handling his bedtime routine..   i'm gonna be trying to figure this out until july 4th!! lol     

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly you  really just need to relax!  Missing his bedtime routine isn't going to be that big of a deal.  More then likely he will sleep through it just put him in his pjs before you go and bring his bottle/snacks/or your boobs and just enjoy the show! 

amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Quoting babyspots17:

Honestly you  really just need to relax!  Missing his bedtime routine isn't going to be that big of a deal.  More then likely he will sleep through it just put him in his pjs before you go and bring his bottle/snacks/or your boobs and just enjoy the show! 

maybe i really do need to relax....  let me just tell you what went through my head when i read your post: 

"ok so maybe she's right..i need to relax and if his bedtime routine is a little off, he's still going to sleep at some point."  "yes i'll put him in his pj's and not regular clothes"...

and then it becomes:  "no, i can't bring bottle or snacks along because it's bedtime and he's not having snacks"...   "so should I give him a bath at his usual time--7:30pm??  he associates bathtime with bedtime, but if he's not going straight to bed maybe we should skip the bath??"  ..."should i adjust his naps during the day? his last nap is usually around 3:30pm and then should i allow him another nap around his actual bedtime and let him snooze for a half hour or something??"   ...."what if he wakes up when we're leaving and then he ends up staying awake? then since he's awake my boyfriends whole family is gonna wanna play with him and that's just gonna piss me off because he needs to be sleeping"   

all those thoughts and more!!!!

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yup you really just need to take a Zanax or something and chill.  Life is too short to be so worried and uptight about something as silly as one night-time routine.  Go to the fire works have fun and enjoy watching if it turns out he hates them and screams then chalk it up to a learning experience go home and enjoy the night.  If you put him in pajamas and he falls asleep and stays a sleep you are all set if he doesn't then he doesn't.  If you IL's play with him then that will be memories they have made who cares!  After some play give him a bath to calm him and put him to bed.  In 8yrs of being a mom with 3 kids that go to some sort of 4th of July fireworks display I can assure you even the "bad" ones were a memory made to look back on when you child is all grown and think about just enjoy!

Quoting amybrg86:

Quoting babyspots17:

maybe i really do need to relax....  let me just tell you what went through my head when i read your post: 

"ok so maybe she's right..i need to relax and if his bedtime routine is a little off, he's still going to sleep at some point."  "yes i'll put him in his pj's and not regular clothes"...

and then it becomes:  "no, i can't bring bottle or snacks along because it's bedtime and he's not having snacks"...   "so should I give him a bath at his usual time--7:30pm??  he associates bathtime with bedtime, but if he's not going straight to bed maybe we should skip the bath??"  ..."should i adjust his naps during the day? his last nap is usually around 3:30pm and then should i allow him another nap around his actual bedtime and let him snooze for a half hour or something??"   ...."what if he wakes up when we're leaving and then he ends up staying awake? then since he's awake my boyfriends whole family is gonna wanna play with him and that's just gonna piss me off because he needs to be sleeping"   

abra
by Abra on Jun. 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I agree that maybe you are overthinking this a bit. I do take my babies to see fireworks and just put their pjs on them and am prepared to cover their ears and snuggle them. If they are really little, I put them down for a late nap so they won't be sleepy at their normal bedtime. :-)

Quoting amybrg86:

Quoting babyspots17:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)