Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Picky toddler! Is he getting what he needs?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM
  • 15 Replies
My 16 month old is soooooo picky and I'm worried that he is not getting the nutrients he needs. What he will eat: potato, cheese, bread, yogurt, banana, applesauce, pancakes, chicken. He won't eat any other meat, protein, fruit, and no veggies. I have tried so many foods without success. I'm at a loss. Should I be worried about this? I may call the doctor and ask about vitamins.
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Keep offering. Toddlers are picky beings at times. As my pedi out it , " toddlers can survive on air, water, and dirt."
abra
by Abra on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM

This! There are also sneaky ways to get them to eat their veggies. I used to make spinach shakes, but I'd cover the taste of raw spiniach with orange juice concentrate, yougurt and berries! Everyone loved them!

Quoting Mom2Just1: Keep offering. Toddlers are picky beings at times. As my pedi out it , " toddlers can survive on air, water, and dirt."

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:30 AM
Is he still nursing at all?
mummyoftwins92
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Keep offering and maybe even hide foods he won't eat by mixing them with other foods, also apparently food dye can help like using their favorite colours or their favorite superhero

Quoting KarenM42: My 16 month old is soooooo picky and I'm worried that he is not getting the nutrients he needs. What he will eat: potato, cheese, bread, yogurt, banana, applesauce, pancakes, chicken. He won't eat any other meat, protein, fruit, and no veggies. I have tried so many foods without success. I'm at a loss. Should I be worried about this? I may call the doctor and ask about vitamins.
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Only twice a day. I offer more but he doesn't want to.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is he still nursing at all?
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:41 PM
I would see if he will nurse a little more. Chicken served with fruit is geeat for boosting iron. Will he eat carrots or avocado?
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I agree with keep offering. My daughter can be like that sometimes.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM
In the past, no but I can try them again. He used to love broccoli but won't touch it now. Something changed in the last month and he won't eat what he used to eat.

Quoting MusherMaggie: I would see if he will nurse a little more. Chicken served with fruit is geeat for boosting iron. Will he eat carrots or avocado?
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Yup! I remember worrying the same. Just keep offering. DD had a phase where she refused green vegetables and now she loves them! If it's possible to prepare them a different way, try that! DD loves veggies with minced garlic added.

isaacsmommy68
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Haha I ilke that. keep offering food. He will eat it. I read in somewhere you have to introduce a food 100 times before the child will like it. Think about yourself, do you eat the same food as when you were a teen? Hopefully not. Keep offering. I always had the rule, "you have to try at least one bite". He is still young, dont worry.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Keep offering. Toddlers are picky beings at times. As my pedi out it , " toddlers can survive on air, water, and dirt."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)