Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

all he does is cry, cry and cry some more..

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • 33 Replies

Recently, my 8 1/2 month old son has started being VERY whiny and VERY needy. I don't know what his deal is, but I am about 2 seconds away from losing my damn mind. It just seemed to start randomly one day and it's been going on for about a week now. He cries almost uncontrollably if I don't hold him or pick him up (he does also have moments or periods of time where he's perfectly fine playing by himself). He doesn't enjoy playing by himself as much as he used to it seems (he'll be fine if I'm playing or interacting in some way with him). If I'm holding him for whatever reason and then go to sit him on the floor with his toys, 90% of the time now he will cry and/or crawl after me and continue crying. I literally feel like I can't do anything during the day anymore unless he's napping. I try, but the continuous crying when I'm trying to do something is just too much. 

I guess maybe it's separation anxiety??? But I'm a stay-at-home mom and we're together all day long, so I don't know what he's getting anxious about if that's the case. 

This morning I could not handle it and I just had to go put him in his crib. He was sleeping in less than 5 minutes. Maybe he's going through some change or a growth spurt?? Teething (but I haven't seen any new teeth)?? But back to the sleeping thing for a minute---is it okay if his sleeping pattern changes at this age?? He never goes down for his 1st nap this early (every morning he is awake for the day at 6am---it's like he's got an internal clock that tells him it's 6am and it's time to get up--but I can tell he'd go back to sleep/he's tired, but he just won't go back to sleep for some reason). I'm worried this early nap is going to screw up his sleeping, but maybe I just need to relax about it.. He only naps twice a day (I'm guessing today will be 3 naps?); he goes down for his 1st nap around 10am and his second nap is around 4pm give or take. 

I need help moms. I don't know what to do with any of this...  and I hate that I get so angry at his crying.  :(  

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Separation anxiety is quite common at this age; they haven't quite grasped that if you leave the room you will come back. Their sleep patterns change all the time. He is probably both teething and warming up to a growth spurt, physically and developmentally. Go with the flow; he won't be little much longer!
amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Quoting MusherMaggie: Separation anxiety is quite common at this age; they haven't quite grasped that if you leave the room you will come back. Their sleep patterns change all the time. He is probably both teething and warming up to a growth spurt, physically and developmentally. Go with the flow; he won't be little much longer!

do you think that's what it is??  if so, should I drop whatever i'm doing or trying to do and focus my attention on my son all day long? is it bad to let him cry and crawl after me? 

Chasesmum3109
by New Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM
My daughter is still going through this and she turned one on the fourth.although not as bad as before. Im sorry you're going through this too, I had a hard time getting stuff done too, until i let her just cry sometimes while i did the wash dishes etc. It's sad to say but my son was a tv kid so I'd turn the tv on and he'd crawl over to it. My daughter doesn't like the tv at all, she will only watch when people are signing and dancing.
dreamarrow
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Around that age is when separation anxiety set in. Just do your best to show you're still there and take a break when needed. I've gone through it a few times with my twins, I know how hard it is
amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Quoting Chasesmum3109: My daughter is still going through this and she turned one on the fourth.although not as bad as before. Im sorry you're going through this too, I had a hard time getting stuff done too, until i let her just cry sometimes while i did the wash dishes etc. It's sad to say but my son was a tv kid so I'd turn the tv on and he'd crawl over to it. My daughter doesn't like the tv at all, she will only watch when people are signing and dancing.

how long has she been going through it??  this is so crazy...like right now he is at my feet whining to be picked up. am i supposed to pick him up every time he does this? is it bad if i don't? he sees that i'm right here. he does it pretty much every time he's not on my lap or in my arms..it's ridiculous!!! i'm at the point where i'm pretty much just ignoring it. if i don't ignore it, it pisses me off to, well, a point i don't want to get to.  :(  

yeah tv doesn't really help him with this. he used to enjoy his shows but now all he does is want to be held and cry. 

whatssleep
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM
I haven't experienced seperation anxiety with my son. If he started carrying on like that usually something was wrong. He was notorious for ear infections and my teething cue was waking at night. If its only been a week I'd call the doctor and rule out medical.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Hold him! Wear him in wrap and you can get things done.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Can you wear him? That's what I would do when mine acted like that.

amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Quoting whatssleep: I haven't experienced seperation anxiety with my son. If he started carrying on like that usually something was wrong. He was notorious for ear infections and my teething cue was waking at night. If its only been a week I'd call the doctor and rule out medical.

lucky you! well, i have no idea if this is what it is...  how do you recognize an ear infection? pretty sure he doesn't have one, but who knows.. he is teething a lot, but no new teeth. would the teething really cause him to be so whiny/needy??

well his 9 month checkup is FINALLY in a couple weeks, so I'm def going to ask his pediatrician about it. can't wait for that appt because i have so many questions!!! 

amybrg86
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Quoting Mom2Just1: Hold him! Wear him in wrap and you can get things done.

i do hold him, but i can't hold him all day long. i've never had a wrap for him. he was never a fan of being carried around...i did it a few times with this carrier we have and he didn't hate it, but he never really loved it either. so it just ended up being more work than anything to get that stupid carrier on, buckled and try and get him in it and back out of it. 

plus, you still can't really do everything you want if you carry them in a wrap--at least i couldn't. i need to clean the floors, sweep, cook/chop ingredients, etc, etc.. it was almost more difficult to carry him around when i'm trying to bend over to clean the floor, ya know? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)