Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

The Art of Co-Sleeping

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM
  • 18 Replies

DD is 8 months old.  We cosleep.  She recently learned to crawl.  Before this, I would just surround her by pillows once she was asleep if I wasn't there.  Now she can crawl around the pillows...and will.  What do I do to keep her safe?  I can't stay with her at all times.  She absolutely hates her crib.  She will wake immediately if I try and put her in there or if she is awake will scream bloody murder.  Help...

by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM
Well you can't leave her knowing she'll fall off the bed so you stay, put just your mattress on the floor so it's low, or you can get her used to her crib.

When my son started crawling he was 8 months and within a couple months he learned to climb off our bed safely. Once I knew he could get down I'd leave him and he'd come find me. Before that I'd stay or if his dad was sleeping I'd leave because he'd crawl over and cuddle with dad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eternity807
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

That's my concern.  I haven't been able to leave her but I can't always nap when she does.  I also have a 2 year old.  DH hates that we cosleep already so he will likely refuse to put the mattress on the floor.  I guess I could attempt putting her crib mattress on the floor and see if that works.  Our bed is pretty high too so it may take a while for her to learn to climb off of it. 

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7: Well you can't leave her knowing she'll fall off the bed so you stay, put just your mattress on the floor so it's low, or you can get her used to her crib. When my son started crawling he was 8 months and within a couple months he learned to climb off our bed safely. Once I knew he could get down I'd leave him and he'd come find me. Before that I'd stay or if his dad was sleeping I'd leave because he'd crawl over and cuddle with dad.

isaacsmommy68
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Try and side car the crib. That is what we do. My son is 24 months and still sleeps in his crib attached to our bed. If he tries to get out, he climbs over me and wakes me up.

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Once my daughter started crawling, I just let her sleep where she was (floor, couch, activity center). I would move her once I was ready to go to bed. Once she learned how to climb down on her own, I put her back in the bed for naps.

Eternity807
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
This won't help at nap time which is my biggest concern. At bedtime it's usually fine. We have a cosleeper which is essentially a sidecar crib.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Try and side car the crib. That is what we do. My son is 24 months and still sleeps in his crib attached to our bed. If he tries to get out, he climbs over me and wakes me up.

spitfire06
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm try to teach dd that the crib is fun first..put her in with some of her favorite things to play with so u can fold laundry or something while u are in the same room with her to show her ur not leaving...then after doing that and she starts to realize heu this is ok its not jail! You can start slowly sneaking out of the room for five mins here and ten mins there and then after she starts to nodd off bc shes comfy you can leave for longer periods and just get her when she starts to fuss ..my dd is a pain in the butt about her crib but does ok in her playpen...its time though for us to start getting her to sleep in her own room...I'm exhausted unless I sleep in lol
307mama
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
Sadly my little one has fallen off at around 8 months. We were even in the room when it happened. Luckily he wasn't hurt just scared. But he learned to not crawl off. I keep a monitor on me and as soon as he stirs I go get him, I also do the pillows around him cause he will roll off in his sleep. I also check often!

Have you seen those bed rails that push under the mattress? Maybe they would work? Or practice getting of the bed safely
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM

My kid's napped elsewhere but here's a bump!

isaacsmommy68
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Yep, that wont work then. It will just take him longer to crawl off the bed. I cannot remember what we did. Mine never slept in his crib until we sidecared it. Unless you sit with her while she sleeps, in your spare time. lol

Quoting Eternity807: This won't help at nap time which is my biggest concern. At bedtime it's usually fine. We have a cosleeper which is essentially a sidecar crib.
Quoting isaacsmommy68:

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Crib rail. That being said I'd put him in a toddler bed. They have rails so the kid can't fall out, but he can get out intentionally.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN