Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Did your parents do this to you?

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 66 Replies
How many of us were spanked as kids? Do you think your parent's discipline method was effective?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christina122952
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Nope I don't believe in spanking
hapababies
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Yes, rarely, and no it wasn't effective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chercaruso
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:57 PM
5 moms liked this

Yep, I was spanked.  My parents raised us using biblical standards, which does believe in spanking when done correctly.  Yes, it was quite effective.  Here's why:

1.  I knew that I would be spanked as a form of punishment if I broke the rules - along with room confinement and loss of privledges. 

2.  Spanking was always done on the buttocks.

3.  There was always love with discipline.  It was never done in anger.  It was done in disappointment with my behavior.  And, there was always a follow-up conversation with why I was spanked and that I am loved.

The last time I was spanked as a child, I was 16 years old.  My parents returned home from a social gathering and found that I was gone from the house (it was midnight) and I had my 11 year old brother with me.  I was driving around our town - I had just gotten my license and didn't think they would be home until later. 

I had then and have now the utmost respect for my parents who were solid role models and raised some respectful kids who have gone on to be successful in their lives and who are also excellent examples of parents.

I also spank my children.

sissy852
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM

i was spanked. its ok to spank if it isnt overly done

228mommy922
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Yes i was spanked. Yes I believe in spanking. Yes it was effective.
staci1103
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:07 PM

I never needed to be spanked, my sister on the other hand, boy she was a handful.  When I was a teenager my mother would slap me from time to time.  I don't think it effected me in a negative way.  I have ever spanked my dd.  My other 3 never needed it, I just raise my voice and they would cry.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM
My parents spanked. We don't. We don't assault our children to make a point. We get creative!
LEmommy0913
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I was. It produced far more fear and anxiety than necessary.
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I was spanked when I needed to be and when all else fails I do tap my boys. It was for me and is for them effective.

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I was spanked as a child. On a rare occasion we may spank our kids but it doesn't happen often and they are always aware when it gets to that point before it happens.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN