Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Did your parents do this to you?

Posted by   + Show Post
How many of us were spanked as kids? Do you think your parent's discipline method was effective?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Replies (61-66):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:09 AM
I was spiraled and yes I think it was effective. I believe in spanking
Owl_Feather
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I wasnt spanked but my mom slapped me once when I was 3. She apologized shortly after. Dad was a wrist grabber but that was about it. My parents were more verbal. Empty materialistic threats ("I bought you a present but I will return it because you wont clean your room"),  and when they went through divorce I was pulled in the middle a lot ("your FATHER is a horrible person" or "if you want expensive presents this year ask your father")....crap like that. Some people think they know it all and say "to just let this go or that go",  Well it is not that easy to just let go. I am very traumatised and remember many things.  I try to be a better mom to my kids but smetimes I catch myself being passive aggressive about things. "because your father always forgets to take out the trash..." little things I say to the kids. DH works very hard! He is a great dad. Those small comments arent fair to him or the kids. I try to catch myself before speaking

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM

My mom tried it once or twice, then never again. It didn't work in our family. But, she had MUCH worse punishments. We used to have to copy chapters of the Miss Manner books in our best handwriting when we acted up. If the handwriting got sloppy, we had to do it again. I have GREAT handwriting now, but it was TORTURE as a chld. I fully plan to use it with my own kids! lol

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:24 AM
I was spanked and Ds is spanked too but as a last resort and after many chances to change the behavior.
sahm978
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM
You stated what I feel is THE most important part of spanking: if it's being done correctly it will never be put of anger or while angry. Very well stated!

Quoting chercaruso:

Yep, I was spanked.  My parents raised us using biblical standards, which does believe in spanking when done correctly.  Yes, it was quite effective.  Here's why:

1.  I knew that I would be spanked as a form of punishment if I broke the rules - along with room confinement and loss of privledges. 

2.  Spanking was always done on the buttocks.

3.  There was always love with discipline.  It was never done in anger.  It was done in disappointment with my behavior.  And, there was always a follow-up conversation with why I was spanked and that I am loved.

The last time I was spanked as a child, I was 16 years old.  My parents returned home from a social gathering and found that I was gone from the house (it was midnight) and I had my 11 year old brother with me.  I was driving around our town - I had just gotten my license and didn't think they would be home until later. 

I had then and have now the utmost respect for my parents who were solid role models and raised some respectful kids who have gone on to be successful in their lives and who are also excellent examples of parents.

I also spank my children.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:50 AM
My parents spanked me a few times but it wasn't a regular thing, especially once I got older. It was effective for me, it just made me mad. We don't spank. It just doesn't feel right to me. We've found other things work better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN