Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How to get off formula and night feeding

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi my baby gracelyn will be a year old next week. I'm having trouble getting her completely off of formula. She does great during the day eating foods and drinking milk from a sippy but in the middle of the night she's drinking two to three bottles of formula and freaks out until she gets it! Please help me! I don't know how to keep her from getting hungry at night and I don't know how to get her completely off formula. Thankyou in advance!
by on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Just stop buying the formula, Give her milk at night just like during the day. You can try replacing 1 drink of milk at night with a drink of water, Or slowly add about an oz of water to replace the same amount of milk. Ds has a night time glass of milk, normally around 3. Hes never stopped needing a bit ofa refuel in the middle of the night he is 3.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

All my kids nursed through the night until 15 months or more.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jul. 12, 2014 at 9:41 PM

When DS was that age, our pedi recomended slowly taking him off the forumula. For instance, 1/4 milk 3/4 formula for a week, the next week half and half, then more milk than formula and finally everything is milk. Also, consider giving her a "snack" before bedtime...something solid that will help her sleep through the night.

If this is something that's just cropped up, could she be going through a growth spurth? I know when DS had a growth spurt, he'd wake in the middle of the night.

Is she wanting the formula, or the bottle?  If she's off the bottle during the day, but wanting it for soothing at night, you're just going to have to dig your heels in and have a couple nights where she doesn't get it and she'll eventually realize there's no more ba ba. (Assuming you're feeding formula through a bottle, of course)

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Her body may not have caught up with her chronological age just yet. Offer more protein during the day, and probably formula, too for a few more weeks. The formula contains more nutrients than the cow's milk. Be sure she has protein and good fats throughout the day, to within a hour of bedtime. She may have hit her 12 month growth spurt as well.
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:24 PM
My kids stopped at 4 and 6 months so I'm no help. Sorry
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2014 at 11:59 PM

We kind of did the same for my daughter per her pedi's recommendation. We worked our way up to 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk. She was around 14 months when we stopped the formula. She only had two bottles a day. One in the morning and evening. I very rarely gave her one in the middle of the night. My daughter doesn't consistently sleep through the night but usually if I lay down with her or rock her she would go back to sleep.

Quoting iansmommy9:

When DS was that age, our pedi recomended slowly taking him off the forumula. For instance, 1/4 milk 3/4 formula for a week, the next week half and half, then more milk than formula and finally everything is milk. Also, consider giving her a "snack" before bedtime...something solid that will help her sleep through the night.

If this is something that's just cropped up, could she be going through a growth spurth? I know when DS had a growth spurt, he'd wake in the middle of the night.

Is she wanting the formula, or the bottle?  If she's off the bottle during the day, but wanting it for soothing at night, you're just going to have to dig your heels in and have a couple nights where she doesn't get it and she'll eventually realize there's no more ba ba. (Assuming you're feeding formula through a bottle, of course)

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 12:10 AM

You say she drinks milk fine during the day.  Is she also drinking formula during the day? I agree with the PP who says her body may not be at the same stage as her chronological age puts her.  You don't have to get her off formula the SECOND she turns one. If she drinks it for another month or even two months, it's not the end of the world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)