Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Need Sleep Advice

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 6 months old. He is a pretty good sleeper at night, although every once in awhile he will wake up every  hour at night. The problem I need help with is getting him to take better naps! He just cat naps all day long, but rarely ever takes a good, solid nap.

He wakes up between 7:30-8:30 and is usually ready for a nap by about 10:30. He either nurses himself to sleep or I rock him, but if I try to put him down in the crib or the pack n play he immediately wakes up and cries and then will not go back to sleep. If I put him in his swing he will usually nap for around 30 minutes and then needs another short nap soon after, and again and again throughout the day. Once in awhile he will sleep for a solid 2-3 hours in the swing, but he is going to grow out of it soon and I want him to be able to sleep.

I have tried putting him down drowsy but still awake and he gets so angry and kicks the wall and will not go to sleep. Any advice?

At night he nurses to sleep and then stays sound asleep when I put him down, and for the most part only wakes once or twice to eat.

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Replies (11-18):
WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

I thought cat napping was normal? My daughter was a huge cat napper when she was a baby. When she fell asleep she would sleep anywhere from 30-60 mins. She is 17 months and we are just now transitioning to one nap a day and she will sleep for 60-90 minutes. I agree with some above posters. Since you have other kids you can always baby wear.

s_roachy
by Member on Jul. 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We did sleep training for night and naps the same way at the same time. It took a little longer for naps than night sleep, but now she goes down for naps without a fuss and sleeps usually 1.5 hours. 

Quoting gina6239:

Thanks! I sleep trained my oldest for night time, but I wasn't sure if it could be done for naps. She is 5 now, but has been sleeping 12 hours through the night ever since we did it, when she was about 1. I agree with you that she is now happy and well rested, and there were very minimal tears. I will have to google how to do it with nap time.

I love my son so very much, and if I could I would love to just hold him all day long. I love snuggling and holding a sleeping baby. But I have other responsibilities and need at least an hour where I can do my schoolwork, housework, and attend to my other child.

Quoting s_roachy:

He doesn't know how to sleep without your help. Either you can deal with it and continue to help him and try the things the ladies above mentioned, or you can do some sleep training so he learns to sleep on his own. The majority of people on this site seem to disagree with sleep training, but it is your decision. Google some different methods and find what you are comfortable with if you decide you want to. Sleep training worked wonderfully for my daughter, she is 11 months and takes 2 longs naps a day and sleeps through the night. She is a happy little girl and plays well because she is well rested. Good luck!

DomDuck
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM
hiQuoting s_roachy:

He doesn't know how to sleep without your help. Either you can deal with it and continue to help him and try the things the ladies above mentioned, or you can do some sleep training so he learns to sleep on his own. The majority of people on this site seem to disagree with sleep training, but it is your decision. Google some different methods and find what you are comfortable with if you decide you want to. Sleep training worked wonderfully for my daughter, she is 11 months and takes 2 longs naps a day and sleeps through the night. She is a happy little girl and plays well because she is well rested. Good luck!

HI!! i want to start sleep training today, and heard its best to do naps and bedtime at the same time.....did you do this or break them up???? what if baby is still crying after an hour during this nap? i heard to take them out of the crib.....AND THEN DO WHAT? cuddle them to slee as usual or just forget about the nap??? i hope you have some tips for me!! thanks in advance!

staci1103
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I'm no help my 7 month old is the same way.  I've given up

gina6239
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it helps to be consistent with naps and bedtime. My problem with that is my little guy nurses to sleep at night, but I do normally hold him for awhile even after, so I plan to start putting him down sooner at night. And for the naps, I read one hour and then you take them out and wait until the next nap time if that is the sleep training techniqe you choose.

Quoting DomDuck:
hiQuoting s_roachy:

HI!! i want to start sleep training today, and heard its best to do naps and bedtime at the same time.....did you do this or break them up???? what if baby is still crying after an hour during this nap? i heard to take them out of the crib.....AND THEN DO WHAT? cuddle them to slee as usual or just forget about the nap??? i hope you have some tips for me!! thanks in advance!

s_roachy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

We did naps and bedtime all at the same time. You set a time for naps, no longer than an hour. I always did 30 minutes, I thought an hour was too long. But it depends on your baby. She RARELY went longer than that anyway, but if she did, I got her up and that ended the nap. We used the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." 

Quoting DomDuck:
hiQuoting s_roachy:

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Sleep training involves some amount of crying it out. This is dangerous, especially before six months. Babies are not meant to be "self-soothing" . As their brains develop, they become capable of more things, including longer periods of sleep. It cannot be hurried aling or forced. Extensive crying causes changes in brain chemistry, and not for the better.
gina6239
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

My thought for something I might try is to rock him to sleep in his room, then put him down in his crib. If he wakes up (which he usually always does) as I am putting him down, just stand there and rub his head or back and hope that he is still sleepy enough to drift back off with me there. He is just getting too big for his swing. I need to check the weight limit, but he went to the doctor yesterday and he is almost 19lbs. I wish I could hold him and snuggle him for the duration of each nap, but it's not possible for me.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Sleep training involves some amount of crying it out. This is dangerous, especially before six months. Babies are not meant to be "self-soothing" . As their brains develop, they become capable of more things, including longer periods of sleep. It cannot be hurried aling or forced. Extensive crying causes changes in brain chemistry, and not for the better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)