Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby cereal

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM
  • 54 Replies
I fed my 4 month old rice cereal last night which he was ehhh about. I didnt give him much but he ended up waking up several times after we put him down like he had an upset stomach. I wondered if maybe he isnt ready for cereal yet but decided to give him oatmeal cereal at 4pm instead of before bed to give it one more chance. He seemed to LOVE the oatmeal (very runny) and kept wanting more. Im praying it doesn't upset his stomach again! Does it just take some getting used to or is his digestive system not ready??
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Baby cereal is absolute rubbish. When he is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only immediately after a nursing session or bottle. The breastmilk or formula should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids cannot be properly digested before six months, and grains not until closer to one year. Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary; they teach babies to swallow without chewing, making for a dangerous and unnecessary transition to table food.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM

All this!  We don't give cereal or pureed food. We don't give solids at 4months either. Too much research to prove it is not a good idea.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Baby cereal is absolute rubbish. When he is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only immediately after a nursing session or bottle. The breastmilk or formula should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids cannot be properly digested before six months, and grains not until closer to one year. Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary; they teach babies to swallow without chewing, making for a dangerous and unnecessary transition to table food.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM
I agree with the previous two posters. I don't use baby cereals because I don't like the research I've done about their digestive systems when they're that little.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM
Cereal is not good for babies, they also should not be having solids until at least 6 months. Their tummies can't handle it before then.
Crob4
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Grains can't really be digested until babies are closer to a year. Breast milk or formula is all a baby needs for the first 6 months. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Babies cant properly digest any grains until after a year old. It can upset their bellies easily. It's mostly junk food for them anyway. Skip the cereal, wait a bit longer, then give him fresh food - mashed bananas, egg yolks, brocolli heads, etc.

cowgirlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:29 PM
What they said
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM
All these ladies are right. He's too young.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:59 PM
^^ yep yep.
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM

All the health organizations say to wait until 6 months before introducing any foods.  Cereal is not nutritional either, there are so many better foods to feed.

So yes, he isn't ready and his stomach more than likely hurt. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN