Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I fed my 4 month old rice cereal last night which he was ehhh about. I didnt give him much but he ended up waking up several times after we put him down like he had an upset stomach. I wondered if maybe he isnt ready for cereal yet but decided to give him oatmeal cereal at 4pm instead of before bed to give it one more chance. He seemed to LOVE the oatmeal (very runny) and kept wanting more. Im praying it doesn't upset his stomach again! Does it just take some getting used to or is his digestive system not ready??
by on Jul. 16, 2014 at 5:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:30 AM
The problems don't pop up until later in life. A 2 month old should be eating every 1-2 hours. Sometimes even more. I doubt his appetite was out of the ordinary.

Rice cereal may fill their belly but it doesn't give them any nutrients they need. So although baby may be full they aren't getting the things they need to grow healthy and strong

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

We started our son on rice cereal at 2mo, his appetite was just ridiculous.  He never had a problem, now we put the rice cereal in his pureed food.

lenashark
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM

Babies shouldn't have any sort of solids before six months, their digestive systems aren't developed enough which is why he got sick. Baby cereal is complete garbage, its just filler calories, no need for it ever. Stick to the breastmilk/formula for another few months and than move on to real nutricious food.

KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Our son was never and I mean never satisfied, we told our pediatrician. He is now almost 8mo and perfectly healthy. My parents did the same thing with my sister and I, neither of us have health issues either.

Quoting Retrokitty: The problems don't pop up until later in life. A 2 month old should be eating every 1-2 hours. Sometimes even more. I doubt his appetite was out of the ordinary.

Rice cereal may fill their belly but it doesn't give them any nutrients they need. So although baby may be full they aren't getting the things they need to grow healthy and strong

Quoting KRhyMama2013:

We started our son on rice cereal at 2mo, his appetite was just ridiculous.  He never had a problem, now we put the rice cereal in his pureed food.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this

If he was never satisfied that could be an underlying problem such as reflux or misunderstanding hunger cues. Also at 6 weeks there is a growth spurt and babies eat non stop.

Just because you personally didn't have a problem doesn't mean it doesn't effect thousands of people. That's like saying because you personally aren't staving it doesn't exist and effect millions of people. We know better, we do better.

Also a lot of people actually don't know it effected them. Many people will get stomach aches after eating too much, or a certain food. They don't link it back to being fed solids to early.

Quoting KRhyMama2013: Our son was never and I mean never satisfied, we told our pediatrician. He is now almost 8mo and perfectly healthy. My parents did the same thing with my sister and I, neither of us have health issues either.
Quoting Retrokitty: The problems don't pop up until later in life. A 2 month old should be eating every 1-2 hours. Sometimes even more. I doubt his appetite was out of the ordinary. Rice cereal may fill their belly but it doesn't give them any nutrients they need. So although baby may be full they aren't getting the things they need to grow healthy and strong
Quoting KRhyMama2013:

KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I understand what you are saying,  but we cleared it with our pediatrician.  This is just like the circumcision debate, breastfeeding debate, and food-stamps, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I am stating what my parents did, and what I have done.  Neither my sister nor I have any stomach issues, but I am sure that it could cause stomach issues in some people, as well as overeating habits, and a harder time learning to be spoon fed. With my son, however, none of this has been so.  This is my personal experience, it has already been done.   

Quoting Retrokitty:

If he was never satisfied that could be an underlying problem such as reflux or misunderstanding hunger cues. Also at 6 weeks there is a growth spurt and babies eat non stop.

Just because you personally didn't have a problem doesn't mean it doesn't effect thousands of people. That's like saying because you personally aren't staving it doesn't exist and effect millions of people. We know better, we do better.

Also a lot of people actually don't know it effected them. Many people will get stomach aches after eating too much, or a certain food. They don't link it back to being fed solids to early.

Quoting KRhyMama2013: Our son was never and I mean never satisfied, we told our pediatrician. He is now almost 8mo and perfectly healthy. My parents did the same thing with my sister and I, neither of us have health issues either.
Quoting Retrokitty: The problems don't pop up until later in life. A 2 month old should be eating every 1-2 hours. Sometimes even more. I doubt his appetite was out of the ordinary. Rice cereal may fill their belly but it doesn't give them any nutrients they need. So although baby may be full they aren't getting the things they need to grow healthy and strong
Quoting KRhyMama2013:

Lyndsjo
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:14 PM
From the time I first posted this, my almost 5 month old has eaten blended peas and carrots. He loves the food! I have also given him oatmeal cereal a few times. I give it to jim before 5pm in case he gets a stomach ache so he isnt going to bed like that. He has been fine so far (knock on wood). People have been giving their babies solids starting young for ages now so it couldnt be that harmful. I also spoke to two doctors who both explained that their is nutritional value to cereal. I feel it is just a matter of what each individual decides to do. People cant say cereal is complete crap or that solids should not be given before 6 months unless there is solid evidence of future damage. My son takes the spoon very well!
2ndbabyBumpStar
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:00 PM

To the above post Rice cereal does have nutritional value. Read the ingredients, it's not empty like water. The ingredients include zinc, calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and B vitamins. I like rice cereal and I plan to introduce it to my daughter once she shows signs she is ready between 4-6 months. I am breastfeeding her and I actually crave rice cereal right now while I am breastfeeding. I eat a small bowl of it with some sugar and milk before bed. I do think that natural foods are the best to give to baby, fresh foods are LIVE foods and have the most nutrients. Mashed avocado is full of nutrients for baby. 

When your baby is ready for solids they will show signs, your baby will let you know when they are ready for solids between 4-6 months old. 

JadeTigr7
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM

There is solid evidence that solids do harm before 6 months, that's why the WHO and AAP BOTH say not to start solids before 6 months.....

Quoting Lyndsjo: From the time I first posted this, my almost 5 month old has eaten blended peas and carrots. He loves the food! I have also given him oatmeal cereal a few times. I give it to jim before 5pm in case he gets a stomach ache so he isnt going to bed like that. He has been fine so far (knock on wood). People have been giving their babies solids starting young for ages now so it couldnt be that harmful. I also spoke to two doctors who both explained that their is nutritional value to cereal. I feel it is just a matter of what each individual decides to do. People cant say cereal is complete crap or that solids should not be given before 6 months unless there is solid evidence of future damage. My son takes the spoon very well!

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM
I always did the oatmeal cereal with my kids and they did great with it. The recommendation then was 4 months, but I believe now the recommendation for starting solids is 6 months. Doing it at 4 months never bothered any of my kids, but if they have changed the recommendation then I am sure there is a reason for that, so it may be best to wait.
KREX0914
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Yeah ... I'm skipping the baby cereal this time. I used it as a FTM. After some research I wish I hadn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)