• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby bullet

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son is 8 months and he just started eating baby food. The reason why we are starting so late is because before when we tried to give him baby cereal, he would gag. It took a while but now he is finally able to swallow without gagging.

I want to invest in the baby bullet but its so expensive. I'm not sure how long id be able to use it since he's already 8 months old. I love the recipes it comes with and storage containers.
How long do babies eat purreed foods?
Do you think its worth investing in the baby bullet?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM
All it is, is a glorified blender. You can do the exact same thing with a regular blender.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I skip purees all together and just go straight to normal food from my plate (cut up in small pieces)

The baby bullet is just a blender with plastic containers. Save the money and just get a normal blender and some small plastic containers that are only a few bucks at the store. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:39 PM
We skip baby food entirely. Just offer food we are eating. My youngest was 9 months before he wanted solids. I don't blame your baby for gagging on cereal. That is processed garbage.
Wifeandmomof1
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
His ped recommended I start him on baby cereal so that he can get used to the texture.

Quoting Mom2Just1: We skip baby food entirely. Just offer food we are eating. My youngest was 9 months before he wanted solids. I don't blame your baby for gagging on cereal. That is processed garbage.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Google baby-led solids. After a full nursing (or bottle) let him have some small pieces of whatever you're having. It doesn't have to be every meal or even every day at this point. Food before age one is just for fun.

Was he checked for lip or tongue ties? Ties can cause swallowing/food texture problems. If you can take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, I may be able to see.

Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary, and teach them to swallow without chewing. Therefore, the baby bullet would be unnecessary.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:10 PM
Quoting Wifeandmomof1: His ped recommended I start him on baby cereal so that he can get used to the texture.

Quoting Mom2Just1: We skip baby food entirely. Just offer food we are eating. My youngest was 9 months before he wanted solids. I don't blame your baby for gagging on cereal. That is processed garbage.

This is old, outdated advice. The AAP no longer recommends cereal as a first food.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Very outdated advice.  My kids have done just fine getting used to texture by eating real foods.  We do baby led solids.

Quoting Wifeandmomof1: His ped recommended I start him on baby cereal so that he can get used to the texture.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
That method actually backfires and is no longer recommended. They get used to the texture of purées and then don't like table food.
There is no need for purées.

polkaspots
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Eight months isn't late. After a year is late. You don't need it. Regular food or regular food mashed or blended if you stick with baby food is all you need.
We don't give blended baby food at all unless it's dessert (flavored yogurt, fruit ice cream) or dips. I make a lot of hummus and other dips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM
Don't bother. Give him real food. My third never had baby food. He ate everything from tender meats to steamed veggies.

My 6.5 month old won't start table food until 8-9 months minimum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)