Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need opinion about a 6 year old PLEASE!!! teacher or counselor or parents

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a stepdaughter who is 6 years old.  Currently her mother has custody and we get her every other weekend, sometimes all weekends, and holidays.  She stays with her mom most of the time.  We do not have any idea or any clue how her life is with her mother except what we can speculate due to the mother being childish and secretive.  (we are working on it to change currently).  This girl is extremely needy, will not do anything on her own, follows me around constantly, acts more like a teenager than a child, and she wants to kiss and hug excessively.  So my question is:  the fact that she is so clingy, kissy, and huggy ( i mean every 5 minutes, the whole time we have her), do you think its due to her mother babying her and kissy huggy her constantly OR the opposite, do you think a child would behave this way because she doesn't get much attention??? 

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:27 PM
3 moms liked this

It's from instability or insecurity. Children who get the attention and love they need do not need to chase after it and require it constantly. They grow up more independant and confident.  Either she isn't getting enough, or being bounced back and forth makes her feel confused and unstable and she's looking for extra comfort. Which is common in split households with young children.

Focused_Mom
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
It's really hard to say. I've seen children of drugged up and strung out parents that have learned to cope and act like mini adults because they have to. They don't get attention at home and it's become a learned behavior to not want affection or attention. I've also seen the opposite. They will overly need and seek the attention. Then you also have children that are given an abundance of attention at home and tend to expect it from others as well. If it seems really overboard maybe you can ask your dh to speak with her about it. Good luck and I hope things work out soon :-)
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:20 PM
You can gently set limits. Keep her busy with coloring or reading while you do something nearby. Try 10 to 15 minute periods, then do something with her that allows her to sit across from you but where she still gets attention.
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Honestly it could be either OR right in the middle. Some kids just have a more needly temperament .
abra
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:40 AM
I agree. Work on giving her a stable and loving home whenever she is at your house.

Quoting Turtledoves:

It's from instability or insecurity. Children who get the attention and love they need do not need to chase after it and require it constantly. They grow up more independant and confident.  Either she isn't getting enough, or being bounced back and forth makes her feel confused and unstable and she's looking for extra comfort. Which is common in split households with young children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)