Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 month old with hand foot mouth disease

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM
  • 7 Replies
My baby is covered head to toe every inch of her body this horrible blustery rash. The doctor diagnosed her over the phone with hfmd. It is breaking my heart. She has had a fever of about 101-102 for almost 2 days but I am able to keep it down with a consistent dose of Tylenol. She has been screaming and crying for 2 days. I have zero experience with this virus. Should I make the doctor see her? They didn't want me to bring her in anywhere bc it's so contagious... Is there anything I can put on to soother skin? I have been giving her a bath and putting on an oatmeal lotion but it's not helping as much as I would like. It's also in her diaper area.
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
iansmommy9
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM

DS had it when he was 15 months and it's so painful and they're so miserable.  Talk to your pedi, but Advil and Motrin last longer than Tylenol.  You'll need to get specific dosing from your doc.  If her mouth is really bothering her, it might be OK to give orajel to numb the mouth pain.  For the diaper area, I used a medication I'd used with a severe diaper rash...

Take a disposable bowl, mix half a large jar of vasoline, 1 tube lotramin and 1 large tube of purple desitin and apply with every diaper change.  Also, when you clean her bottom, use cotton balls dipped in mineral oil.  Even the sensitive wipes hurt when they are blistered. 

If she's crying a lot, watch for signs of dehydration. Also, make sure she's able to eat. I know when DS had tonsilitis, the pedi recommended a maalox/benadryl solution to soothe his throat. I don't know if this would work for her mouth.

After she gets over the hfmd, wash the toys she's played with to prevent catching it again.

addiesmommy1109
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Both my girls had it last year when cousins were visiting! It was sooooooooo horrible! Oatmeal baths helped a lot!
Purple_Olive
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Thanks ladies. I got some very hypoallergenic soothing lotion and body wash for her as well as Epsom salt. That seems to be helping a bit. My 3 year old woke up today with a 102 fever so looks like she has gotten it as well. :(
isaacsmommy68
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM

It is very very contagious! My 2 year old got it a few weeks ago, he gave it to his 1 year old cousin, then my 11 year old got it. It is spread like a cold. Not much you can do. Tylenol and Popsicles help with the throat and mouth sores. It takes about a week to 10 days to clear up.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM

My son had it when he was 2, I hope your LO feels better soon

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I hope she feels better!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM
Toys and bedding need to be sanitized, and toothbrushes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)