Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: My 7 day old newborn is always hungry I am...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

My 7 day old newborn is always hungry. I am feeding her on demand however she is hungry every hour - hour and a half. I give her 4 oz on every feeding at which she seems to be content then. Am I overfeeding her? I am so nervous that I'm doing something wrong.

by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1TallMamaCA
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM
New babies eat a lot, you say oz of bottles, is that formula?
HIJKLM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Babies rarely overeat. I BFed mine so idk how many ounces they ate but every 1-2 hrs is normal the first few weeks.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM
All mine nursed every hour or less the first couple of weeks. Try pace feeding. Sounds like her tummy is over stretched and it hurts.
NotSoLucky71
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Yes, she eating formula.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Use the slowest flow newborn nipple, hold her in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, and burp her after every ounce. This will allow her brain and her tummy to know when she is full.
iansmommy9
by Natasha on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM

They can eat a lot. The hospital pedi told us to give Ian all he wanted. I pumped and supplamented. Our regular pedi also told us to feed him as much as he wanted.  She mentioned that in 20 years of practice, she'd only had one baby that overfed.

NotSoLucky71
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. One more question.. Her little belly button thingy came off today on her one week birthday! Am I supposed to do something with her belly button now? I mean, should I cleanse the area a lot. It looks like there is plastic in there still but doesn't look infected and not sure if that is normal. I am so new at this......... :-)

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:12 PM
It is very possible to overfeed with bottles, breastmilk or formula. Pediatricians get little or no training in infant nutrition; their focus is on illness and injury. When the milk is being poured into them because the flow is too fast, they have no choice but to swallow. Their stomachs then get overstretched, requiring ever increasing amounts just to feel full. It sets them up for overeating later on in life because the "full" signal from the brain has been overridden for so long. Paced bottlefeeding as described above allows the stomach to get the message from the brain.
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this

4oz is far too much to be feeding to a 1 week old baby.  Definitely switch to paced feedings.  She's been fed too fast for her to realize she's full.

Bottle fed babies most definitely can be overfed.

You can't overfeed with straight nursing because baby controls the flow completely and how much they get which is just not as possible with a bottle. 

KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM

When our sons came off, we would just put water on a q-tip and make sure it was clean and after use the other end to kind of pat dry.

Quoting NotSoLucky71:

Thank you all so much for your help. One more question.. Her little belly button thingy came off today on her one week birthday! Am I supposed to do something with her belly button now? I mean, should I cleanse the area a lot. It looks like there is plastic in there still but doesn't look infected and not sure if that is normal. I am so new at this......... :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN