Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Crying it out

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 85 Replies
I just wanted all of the moms who are undecided about the CIO method that it is OK. We spent so long bouncing our baby to sleep as he fought and fought sleep. We couldnt handle it anymore so CIO was a last resort. It is sad, yes...but i you can get through the first couple nights it does get easier. I am sure because I am posting this I am jinxing it, but our almost 5 month old has finally started sleeping through the night! He takes longer naps during the day also. The naps could possibly be a growth spurt but it could also be because he soothes himself better in his crib. CIO has made our evenings and nights easier. My husband and I can finally eat dinner together and are not arguing anymore about who is going to bounce him to sleep for an hour. Give it a try and be strong!! But it is also ok if you dont have the heart! This does not make us bad parents!
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
waytomanykids10
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Never let any of my kids CIO, they were sleeping through the night by the time they were 8 months old. Only one that didn't is my 17 month old but he also has tons of medical problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm sorry that attending your child's needs is inconvenient for you.

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
6 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this
Even experts make it clear no CIO before 6 months. It's incredibly dangerous for their attachment and emotional health.

CIO babies do not learn to sleep longer, they learn their needs will not be met. Most 5 month olds still need to eat 2-3 x a night.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm with you in cry it out method. But I would never ever ever do it with a child at 5 months. I wouldn't do it with a child younger than 8 months. At the bare bare min. 7
KREX0914
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Of all mammals, humans are born the most helpless and stay helpless for the longest period of time.

I know if I couldn't walk, talk, feed myself, was laying in urine and my only form of communication was crying, after so long my cries would become a prayer for comfort.

KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I would not do this to a child who is five months old.  Our son is eight months and we just started this transition.  He fights his naps somthing feirce.

CafeauLait.
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I don't know how anyone can do that to their baby. They need us. People who can't take an hour to put their baby to sleep shouldn't have kids at all.
Lyndsjo
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM
3 moms liked this
You can all have your own opinions. I am a very good mom. If crying it out caused emotional damage, doctors would not suggest it either. I make sure my son is fed and his diaper is changed before puttin him down. He does not seem any less pleasant. He hardly slept before which can also be damaging, thank you very much. I chose to do the interval crying it out at first and went in every 5 minutes to let him know I was there. I go in now if he starts really crying and pat him and talk to him. So I guess those of you who say its heartless know everything? Riiight.
Lyndsjo
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a difference between being ignored and letting a baby cry while still going in to reassure them that you are there. This picture is a very bad example.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)