Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
I just wanted all of the moms who are undecided about the CIO method that it is OK. We spent so long bouncing our baby to sleep as he fought and fought sleep. We couldnt handle it anymore so CIO was a last resort. It is sad, yes...but i you can get through the first couple nights it does get easier. I am sure because I am posting this I am jinxing it, but our almost 5 month old has finally started sleeping through the night! He takes longer naps during the day also. The naps could possibly be a growth spurt but it could also be because he soothes himself better in his crib. CIO has made our evenings and nights easier. My husband and I can finally eat dinner together and are not arguing anymore about who is going to bounce him to sleep for an hour. Give it a try and be strong!! But it is also ok if you dont have the heart! This does not make us bad parents!
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Replies (81-85):
dafny
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:04 AM

i would do it at 12 months or older. but i would let them cry for just 15 minutes at a younger age to see if they will fall asleep and then go to them.

Quoting amberNewman0213: I'm with you in cry it out method. But I would never ever ever do it with a child at 5 months. I wouldn't do it with a child younger than 8 months. At the bare bare min. 7

dafny
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:16 AM

How do you remember how you were taught to go to sleep as an infant? I also cant fall asleep unless Im really tired. I hate going to sleep and I hang out untill Im falling asleep. And in the morning I love to sleep and cant get up. Its a nature and has nothing to do with the way you were trained as an infant.

I did the CIO method with my daughter when she was probably 16m and wouldnt go to sleep unless she was very exhausted. She would fall asleep all over the place. In the highchair and floor. but it we tried putting her in her crib she would cry untill we took her out. one day we decided to to the CIO method. we let her cry for a few nights in her crib untill she fell asleep. (we put her into her crib when we knew she is very tired) for one week she cried and since then she went to sleep nicely. You have to see on the child if she is very resistant  to it. I wouldnt do it for longer than a week if I saw it wasnt working for her. But she went to sleep nicely ever since she realized  thats you lay in bed and go to sleep.

( I wouldnt just let her cio if she is crying for a reason and is upset, or if she is not tired I wouldnt force her to go to sleep)

Quoting larissalarie: I can't imagine if I were upset and crying and my spouse just left me to cry until I passed out because I was fed and clean. We might not understand WHY they cry but they cry for a reason. I'm a product of CIO. OF course I love my mother and smile LOL. Pretty much everyone does, even products of significant abuse, let alone CIO. That doesn't change that fact that I can't sleep unless I'm so exhausted I pass out. I strongly desire alcohol to create that state, yet resist more often than not. It sucks that the only way I can sleep well, because of how I was trained in infancy, is to stay awake until the wee hours or drink so I can pass out with exhaustion. I was never taught to fall asleep peacefully.

dafny
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

your baby never needed it. not all babys need it. but if a baby needs to be rocked to sleep for an hour every night there is nothing wrong to tell baby. "starting from today we wont rock you. you will learn how to go to sleep like a big boy and have him cry untill he falls asleep without rocking." its called training. after a few days baby learns to go to sleep without the rocking and sleeps well. baby is not traumetized and will never know in 2 weeks from now that he needed rocking 2 weeks earlier.

CIO doesnt mean letting the baby cry when baby is upset and is needy and ignoring them- thats called neglect. CIO is a method used to train a baby to go to sleep by itself. when you know why the baby is crying.

Quoting polkaspots: I still think leaving a baby to cry is wrong. I will not ever do it. I'm on my third baby so far, and I've never felt the need to. I am very against cry it out.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest was rocked to bed every night for at least twenty minutes until she was two. Please don't make assumptions about me.
I still disagree with cry it out. No amount of word play will change my mind on that.
I didn't say it was traumatizing, you used that word. I think sleep training is wrong. My older two learned to go to sleep by themselves on their own, in their own time. My seven month old hasn't gotten it yet.

Quoting dafny:

your baby never needed it. not all babys need it. but if a baby needs to be rocked to sleep for an hour every night there is nothing wrong to tell baby. "starting from today we wont rock you. you will learn how to go to sleep like a big boy and have him cry untill he falls asleep without rocking." its called training. after a few days baby learns to go to sleep without the rocking and sleeps well. baby is not traumetized and will never know in 2 weeks from now that he needed rocking 2 weeks earlier.

CIO doesnt mean letting the baby cry when baby is upset and is needy and ignoring them- thats called neglect. CIO is a method used to train a baby to go to sleep by itself. when you know why the baby is crying.

Quoting polkaspots: I still think leaving a baby to cry is wrong. I will not ever do it. I'm on my third baby so far, and I've never felt the need to. I am very against cry it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allisonc7910
by Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Would never do CIO at that age.  Sure, you go in and pat him but he might be needing milk not patting.  Thats a basic need.  How would you feel if you needed water and were thirsty or hungry and you just got a pat on the back instead?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN