Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Transition from Purees to Solids/Pieces

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM
  • 11 Replies

I saw a similar post in this group, but it didn't really answer my question. My daughter is used to purees, and she has eaten some pieces of food such as chicken, puffs, carrots, and bananas, but just as snacks to practice. She seems to do well with them, and we started to try to have her use a fork a few times and she can't 'stab' the food yet, but she will put it in her mouth and eat it if we help put the food on the fork for her.  We are going to start giving her pieces all the time soon (she is 11 months) and wondering what your tips are for pre-making meals for babysitters, etc and also what are the best foods to start with? She has about 10 teeth, but no molars yet. I already know chicken is pretty good for her, and I have read pastas, waffles, and other veges. Without using a fork, I have found certain foods like avocado and banana are really hard for her to pick up because they get realy slippery. Any other tips? Do you prepare weekly meals if you have a baby sitter? I will probably buy some of those containers that have different compartments and prepare for the whole week... Is that a good idea? First time mom!

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I just put food on his tray and let him have at it.  If he eats...awesome!  If not...no problem. For times when I have someone watch him-this rarely happens- I just tell them he can have x,y,z.  I usually just put in one area for them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

seaturtle1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM

If you joing a group on fb called mama natural.  There is an artical on there called baby led weeining.  Great artical with everything you need to know to feed your bay good healthy food.  In chunks they can pick up and suck on or naw on to get all the vitamons out that they need from the food.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Ditch the purees altogether, and stick to finger foods. I would wait a bit longer for silverware. Compartment containers are great. For another month or so, breastmilk or formula should be the main and major source of calories, so you won't need large portions yet. She should still have her milk feeding before solids for a month or so. I would either slice the avocado thin or cut it into chunks and maybe mush it a bit. Chopped or shredded carrots, steamed to soften them a bit.

You might not want to prepare more than two or three days at a time. Their tastes can change rapidly, that's all right and normal.
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Offer whatever you're eating in small pieces or if it's soft, something large enough that baby can hold on to. DS refused to let us spoon feed him, so he never did purees. He started solids at 8 months and had no teeth, but has done very well with "people food".

eliz85
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Baby puffs and scrambled eggs have had the best luck with my 8 month old! She has trouble picking up fruits as well, but she's figured out those two things. We don't use a babysitter, but I still make most of her weekly food (veggies) on the weekends and freeze them so all we have to do is pull out a container, heat it up, and give it to her. If she gets anything other than veggies, we make it up right before giving it to her.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM
We just gave baby bite size pieces of what we were eating.
Mommy2Jane
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I read you shouldn't give eggs until one year, so I probably won't be giving those yet, but thanks!

Quoting eliz85:

Baby puffs and scrambled eggs have had the best luck with my 8 month old! She has trouble picking up fruits as well, but she's figured out those two things. We don't use a babysitter, but I still make most of her weekly food (veggies) on the weekends and freeze them so all we have to do is pull out a container, heat it up, and give it to her. If she gets anything other than veggies, we make it up right before giving it to her.

eliz85
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Quoting Mommy2Jane:

I read you shouldn't give eggs until one year, so I probably won't be giving those yet, but thanks!

Quoting eliz85:

I understand! Her Dr. said that since there aren't any egg allergies in our family and she hasn't shown any food sensitivities/allergies to anything so far, we could go ahead with eggs. I was hesitant too, but Dh really wanted to cook for her (just eggs - no milk or seasonings added) and all has been well!

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I just put food on her high chair. My daughter is almost 18 months and just now showing an interest in using forks/spoons. I don't have to prepare meals for daycare. My babysitter makes all the kids meals like spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, lasagna, hamburgers and breakfast. My daughter ate whatever we were eating. She ate everything from pb&j to eggs starting around 6 months. The only babysitters (other than daycare) she has had was my mom and dad and they just cook whatever I have in the Frigidaire.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Be careful on where you get your info when researching.  Eggs have been an ok food to give for years now.  And even before that change, egg yolk was always ok and is good for brain development and is a good source of iron.  And grains, ie., pastas, rice, etc. are no longer recommended foods for infants under 12 months.

Other than that, my advice is to "just do it".  None of my kids ever had purees (aside from things like applesauce and yogurt).  They eat what we eat from the time they start solids. 

Quoting Mommy2Jane:

Quoting eliz85:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)