Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do to help him?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM
  • 13 Replies

So my husband, 4 kids and I have a cold. A few of my kids and I seem to be at the tail end of it (everyone is improving) but my 2 DS's still have very boogery runny noses. It's not really affecting my 4 yr old at all but my 10 month old is so snotty right now he can't breath through his nose to nurse. He does eat some solids and he nursed a couple hours ago fine but is there anything I can do to help clear out his nose other than suction it? I suctioned it a little yesterday and it made it bleed a little from the irritation. 

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Sit in a steamy bathroom and squirt some milk up there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redzinger
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Use some nasal saline. That will thin the drainage out and make it easier for him to blow it out himself. Try not to suction too much. Not only can it cause bleeding, it can cause swelling which is a problem when the nasal passage is already so tiny. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM
Breastmilk up the nose works wonder!
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mom2Just1: Breastmilk up the nose works wonder!

This or steamy shower

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Put some drops of breastmilk in his nose before suctioning . It's very healing.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Breastmilk can also be used for pink eye.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM

How is baby doing today?

Tckosdk.2012
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Breastmilk up his nose. Works like a charm. Pump a little & put it in a bottle, use an oral dosing syringe or medicine dropper & put one drop up each nostril 4 to 5 times a day. I also like Boogie wipes & spray.

abra
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:52 PM
My doctor said the worst thing you can do is blow your nose when you have a cold! The force from the blow is asking for a sinus infection, apparently. Who knew?! So don't blow your nose, doc said to swallow the mucous and wipe is as it expels naturally — it sounds gross but then I realized that colds hit my toddlers with the least force, probably because they have no inhibitions.

Steam up the bathroom or use a humidifier.

Tea with lemon and honey (chamomile is best because it is an anti-inflammatory and honey will coat their throat).

Hang in there!!! ((hugs))
mommyofone123
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Seems to be a bit better. Still has sinus drainage but seems more clear and not as much. I've been doing breast milk :)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

How is baby doing today?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)