Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OALD, gas, and all-day crying... I'm going insane!!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

Mobile Photo

I've got some serious issues with over active letdown and it's giving my little booger bad gas, to the point I hear his tummy gurgling and he cries constantly. My husband jokingly refers to him as out little fart machine, but I don't see it as funny.
He's a month old and I've tried almost all the remedies I can for his bad gas. Bicycling his legs, pressing them against his tummy different positions while nursing, holding him on my shoulder to burp him, and bouncing him around but nothing seems to be working!! It keeps me awake at night with all the straining and grunting he does trying to get it out, but no luck!

Help!!!
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:07 PM

Mobile Photo

Sleepy bump
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM

What a cutie!!!!

It sounds like you have tried everything. The only thing I can think to try is gripe water or going through your diet to see if you are eating something that is upsetting baby. Also, try not to feed a fussy baby, try to calm baby down first because if they are fussy, they will take in more air which will get trapped and cause more gas pain. Smaller feedings could help too with frequent burp breaks. 

^That's what i did

Crob4
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Try block feeding, it will help significantly with your oal and subsequently his gas. I had a daytime boob and a nighttime boob when dd2 was young.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Block feeding.
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM
I also read that when you feel let down to let it out into a burp cloth or clean washcloth. I can pretty much soak the washcloth before my letdown finishes...

Quoting Mom2Just1: Block feeding.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM
You can do that as well. Block feeding helped me.

Quoting Closet_Case: I also read that when you feel let down to let it out into a burp cloth or clean washcloth. I can pretty much soak the washcloth before my letdown finishes...

Quoting Mom2Just1: Block feeding.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM
See if you can get a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, a little closer so we can see under his tongue. If he has ties, this makes it even harder for him to latch and deal with the overactive letdown.
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM
He does have an upper lip tie but I'm not sure about his tongue.

Quoting MusherMaggie: See if you can get a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, a little closer so we can see under his tongue. If he has ties, this makes it even harder for him to latch and deal with the overactive letdown.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I had OAL as well and it took about 3 months for my milk to regulate so he wasn't overwhelmed. He learned to compensate for my fast flow but sometimes would stop to cough. He had horrible gas and I tried everything including gripe water but nothing helped. We had many rough nights where he would scream but I just did my best to soothe him.

Just hang in there, your supply will regulate. You can block feed and try laid back nursing to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)