Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
Bloggers Discuss Baby Milestones & Finding “Me” Time

These five women discuss everything about babies and even how to carve out mom time for yourself! These bloggers were compensated for their participation in this program.

Getting Your Body Back After Baby

By GFunkified on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:00 AM

After having a baby, your body doesn't feel like your own. Whether you labored naturally, with an epidural, had a c-section, or all of the above, your body worked and changed so much in that ten months that you probably don't feel anything like yourself for a good, long while. One thing that I've found helps tremendously, though, to feel better, regulate those crazy hormones, and start to look a little, well....not pregnant, is getting some exercise.

Anything you do, of course, you should get your doctor's permission first, and take it easy in the beginning. Even if you were running marathons while you were pregnant, your body will still need to adjust after you've had the baby.

Depending on what you enjoy and what you feel like doing, there are a lot of options for getting back into the swing of things and losing some baby weight. My personal favorite is walking with a stroller (and working up to jogging). A baby loves to see the world outside from a new perspective, and you get to burn some calories and get fresh air. You might even have some friends with babies that you can walk with and add a social aspect to working out. A good jogging stroller will make a big difference, too, if you're more inclined to jog or run with your baby.

Once your baby is old enough to get outside and interact with other people and children, taking a class at a gym with childcare allows you to hand your baby over for an hour or so and either take a class or just have peace to use some equipment.

There are a ton of exercise videos to choose from if you want to work out in your own living room, and there are even some specifically made for postpartum women or exercising with your baby (like baby and me yoga or water aerobics).

The way you worked out before you had a baby may not be the same thing you feel like doing after, but there are so many choices that you can find something to help you burn some energy and calories.

What is your favorite way to work out after giving birth?

Photo by stockphoto4u via iStock

GFunkified About Greta: I am a work at home wife and mom to four kids, living in the rural Midwest. My life is crazy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • sanj1213
  • by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • Lots of walking until I worked up to jogging. I had to wait a few weeks before I could do anything. 

• Quote Reply
  • goddess99
  • by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM
  • I didn't exercise and still haven't. I pretty much weigh what I did when I was pregnant,.

• Quote Reply
  • yvonne37
  • by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM
  •  i loved to work out and stretch with my babies.. they seam to like it too :)

I usually did this indoors on the floor.  We also went for long walks with them in their strollers :)

• Quote Reply
  • lizzig
  • by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM
  •  i've always been a big walker.  something that's easy to do with babies, toddlers or older kids.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)