Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: I started solids to my 5 month old baby I...

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
  • 21 Replies

I started solids to my 5 month old baby, I noticed he becomes thirsty after finishing one gerber and I offer him 2 or 4 ounce formula, I want to know if I am over feeding him, am I giving him too much, can it offer water or juice instead? My pediatrician did not mention anything about drinks,

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
At 5 months I believe he should have the formula first and then solids but I could be wrong. Stay away from juice. It's nothing but sugar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Formula or breastmilk is the main source of nutrition before a year.  It should be given before ANY solids.  A full jar of gerber foods is too much, especially since solids shouldn't be started until 6 months anyways.

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Formula or breastmilk before solids for the first year. He is too young for solids though.

JessiFaye
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this
That's too much, in my opinion. This young, food isn't for nutrition, it's for practice. Give the bottle first!
AriannaMoM29
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My baby will be 5 mounths I actually give her gerber banana in her bottle with formula milk. She loves it, I love it because she can hold her own bottle :-). I also give her Gerber fruits and then a little garber baby apple juice, to help wash the solid food down. And at night I breast feed her.
KREX0914
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Is your supply keeping up alright? 

Quoting AriannaMoM29: My baby will be 5 mounths I actually give her gerber banana in her bottle with formula milk. She loves it, I love it because she can hold her own bottle :-). I also give her Gerber fruits and then a little garber baby apple juice, to help wash the solid food down. And at night I breast feed her.

booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this
He needs to get formula or breast milk first, for the first 12 months, then solids. They're just extra for now. A full jar is too much for him, and really, solids shouldn't be started before he meets all the milestones: six months, sits unassisted, good pincer grasp, and has lost the tongue thrust reflex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookiecabral
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this
Thank you for your replies. I will focus on formula before Gerber. I appreciate all your comments and replies
AriannaMoM29
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have replied sooner but im not exactly sure of what you mean by that

Quoting KREX0914:

Is your supply keeping up alright? 

Quoting AriannaMoM29: My baby will be 5 mounths I actually give her gerber banana in her bottle with formula milk. She loves it, I love it because she can hold her own bottle :-). I also give her Gerber fruits and then a little garber baby apple juice, to help wash the solid food down. And at night I breast feed her.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop the solids for a month--his gut isn't quite ready for them yet. Formula should be his main source of calories through his first birthday. Solids are not nutritionally necessary before one year. In another month, if he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having. It doesn't have to be every meal or even every day at this stage. Google baby-led solids. Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary; they teach him to swallow without chewing, making for a dangerous and unnecessary transition to table food. Much healthier to let him feed himself. Until one year, always give solids after a full bottle.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)