Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Forward Facing Carseats

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
  • 58 Replies

DD is 10 months old and extremely long but only 17lbs.  Someone told DH we should turn her forward facing because of how long her legs are.  I say ridiculous and no way.  I have every intention of keeping her rear facing for as long as possible.  I looked up the laws and in our state it is not illegal to turn them forward facing before 1 year old.  Regardless...it isn't happening.  Can you ladies give me some suggestions to back up my claims as to why it is dangerous?  All I know is that their necks are not strong enough and they can get seriously injured in an accident.  What else?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM

It is illegal.  That should be reason enough for me.  We do rf past a year for safety reasons though.  I never cared what people thought anyways.  To forward face it is 1 year AND 20lbs.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Luke8212013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:17 AM

It is illegal, and I think I was told the minimum to turn them was 1 year old and 25 pounds. Regardless, isn't the one reason you stated enough reason to keep her rear-facing? Some kids have stayed rear-faced and they are 4 & 5 years old. I'm sure they are much longer than your 10 month old. And besides, she's your child, who cares what that person said to your husband. Do what's best for your child. We got tons of advice when my son was born. And some of the things people suggested was rediculous. 

Crob4
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Legs are much more likely to break in a forward facing accident than lie rear facing. It's not just bad for their spines to forward face before one, it can be deadly. What would cause whiplash for an adult or older child will literally rip their skulls from their spines, google internal decapitation. 

We we rear face until 4, which is the age where kid's spines are capable of tolerating the forces of a crash while forward facing. If my long legged 4 year old was comfortable rear facing, your tiny 17 lb 10 month old will certainly be fine. 

booaura
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM
It is illegal prior to a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticlily
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Age 2 is the new recommended age for forward facing carseats! If you do not feel comfortable switching to forward facing do not do it!! Under 1 is a definite no no!!

Eternity807
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I have every intention of rear facing until 2 and she is in my car 95% of the time so he can just suck it.  I was just looking for good reasons to give him. 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

It is illegal.  That should be reason enough for me.  We do rf past a year for safety reasons though.  I never cared what people thought anyways.  To forward face it is 1 year AND 20lbs.  

JadeTigr7
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM

She's not buckled because we weren't yet leaving, but this is my almost 5 year old at 3 1/2.  We didn't turn her forward facing until she was 4....she hadn't maxed out the weight or height.  She's still in that same seat forward facing.  She'll use it until it expires. That's how she normally kept her legs, or criss-crossed.  It was definitely safer to keep her rear facing.

My 17 month old is still rear facing, and probably will be until she's 5.  It's still illigal to turn her forward facing because she's not 20 lbs.  The law in EVERY state is 1 year AND 20lbs. 

Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:56 AM

There is plenty of research.  I just don't have the time to google.   

Quoting Eternity807:

I have every intention of rear facing until 2 and she is in my car 95% of the time so he can just suck it.  I was just looking for good reasons to give him. 

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:42 PM

It's illegal

WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I agree, It is illegal. In my state legally, you can turn at 1 and 20 but even law enforcement is recommending you rear face to 2 and 40 or as longer if possible.  We still RF because at 18 months my daughter is not 20 lbs yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN