Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Forward Facing Carseats

Posted by   + Show Post

DD is 10 months old and extremely long but only 17lbs.  Someone told DH we should turn her forward facing because of how long her legs are.  I say ridiculous and no way.  I have every intention of keeping her rear facing for as long as possible.  I looked up the laws and in our state it is not illegal to turn them forward facing before 1 year old.  Regardless...it isn't happening.  Can you ladies give me some suggestions to back up my claims as to why it is dangerous?  All I know is that their necks are not strong enough and they can get seriously injured in an accident.  What else?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:11 AM
Replies (51-58):
cupcake_mom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:54 PM
What kind of seat is that?

Quoting Allie_kat1:

This is my 5yr old still rat facing.
Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM
Clek foonf

Quoting cupcake_mom: What kind of seat is that?

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cupcake_mom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Thanks

Quoting Allie_kat1: Clek foonf

Quoting cupcake_mom: What kind of seat is that?

Quoting Allie_kat1:

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Oh my. I'm glad dd hasn't had anything like that happen. Bleeding like that would make her throw up, and I might pass out.

Quoting Mamatobe15:

They are so clumsy at that age! And she was in the backyard running around and there was a nail sticking up and she stepped right on top of it. We took her to the er to, had to get antibiotics so it wouldn't get in infected. She's been whining the last few days about it. She pretty much refused to walk on her foot at all yesterday so I had to keep her home from school. It was obnoxious. 

Quoting polkaspots: I don't get it either. My four year old runs into walls and fences on her scooter because she won't look up. I can't imagine the damage she would do to herself without the helmet and knee pads.
How did the nail thing happen? It sounds terrible.

Quoting Mamatobe15:

It really is crazy! I cant' believe parents still do that these days lol. And my 4 year old would probably badly injure herself if she didn't have a helmet on when she rode a bike. She just ended up with a nail through her foot the other night. And that was when she had shoes on! 

Quoting polkaspots: That's crazy. I feel dangerous taking the baby out of the seat while the car is parked but still running.
I'm so glad that nobody else has small children in my family, because they all do things that I consider dangerous. Like the car seats, and giving babies and toddlers food in the car, and no helmets, or knee pads.
I'm not a helicopter parent, but I'm not going to let my four year old on a bike without a helmet.

Quoting Mamatobe15:

Yikes! My SIL was driving down to Tennessee and took her 4 month old baby out of his car seat on the way. 

Quoting polkaspots: I figured, but on the off chance you meant you took your kid out of the car seat at two I thought it would be best to ask.
My husband's family only uses car seat for the babies, and even then crying babies get picked up and held. They don't use seat belts unless they see cops.

Quoting Mamatobe15:

Nope. I meant rearfacing! I need to learn to proof read!  

Quoting polkaspots: ?? Is that what you meant to say?

Quoting Mamatobe15:

I kept her in a forward facing carseat until almost 2, and she was a big girl. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
:) when I was a kid I had buck teeth and when I did that squinty face you do in the sun my dad called it my rat face. My mom always complained about it when she was trying to take pictures. Now they look back at them and go, "she's rat facing in this one too"

Quoting Allie_kat1: Heh, auto correct and posting on the fly between chasing toddlers is not a good combo!

Quoting polkaspots: Rat facing? Lol

Quoting Allie_kat1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Eternity807
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM

31 lbs.  So I would have to check on what his car seat is rated for in terms of weight restrictions.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

How much does your 3yo weigh?

Quoting Eternity807:

Wow.  This makes me want to turn my 3 year old rear facing.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Show him this. It's called Joel's Journey. If that doesn't change his mind, nothing will.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Most seats are 40lbs; a few are 35. Also, some have a 40" height limit for RF, so there's that to consider too. What seat is your kiddo in?

Quoting Eternity807:

31 lbs.  So I would have to check on what his car seat is rated for in terms of weight restrictions.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

How much does your 3yo weigh?

Quoting Eternity807:

Wow.  This makes me want to turn my 3 year old rear facing.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Show him this. It's called Joel's Journey. If that doesn't change his mind, nothing will.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I would leave her until she's at least 1 yr. But I hear most pediatricians are now saying at least until 2 yrs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN