Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

And Baby Makes: My House Seem Small

By SarahLena on Aug. 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM

When we were house shopping seven years ago, we only had one real requirement: another bathroom. We had outgrown our three bedroom, one bath house and were in search of just one more toilet. Our list of needs was small! When we found our current house, it seemed so vacant, so expansive, so luxurious - it had two toilets! Now with three boys ranging in age from 14 to 1, we feel like sardines. Why do kids seem to bring a deluge of STUFF?

Since we have kids spread about by five or six years, it's been funny to watch how trends and technologies have changed with each baby. One thing that hasn't changed at all, however, is how much STUFF babies need/require.

You'd think it's kind of simple: the baby needs somewhere to sleep. That's it, right? Babies - especially newborns - have limited needs that amount to being somewhere to lay. That's all they do! Just let 'em lay on a flat surface! Your house is already FULL of flat surfaces! Except.. what if you have a baby who's picky? What if your baby has colic? Well, then, let me recommend this inclined sleeper. Also this baby swing. Hey, do you have a baby crib/pack & play/co-sleeper?Here's one of each, because who knows what the baby will like?

Okay, you figure out pretty quickly that the baby also needs somewhere to be changed. Again - flat surfaces abound! Pick one! Except.. you have to have somewhere safe. Are there belts on that changing pad? Wait, do you have that bolted to the wall? You probably should install a mirrored mosaic or an electric mobile around the changing table to keep your baby occupied. And do you have a wipe-warmer/diaper hanger/diposal containment unit? Here's one of each, because who knows what the baby will like?

Don't even get me started on playthings for the babies. They all make noise. They all make noise, mainly in the middle of the night, which either wakes your baby out of a precious sleep or creeps you out immensely from the freakish Elmo voice that wafts over the baby monitor at three a.m.

I know a lot of moms mourn the day that they have to start getting rid of baby stuff - and I understand why. It tugs at your heartstrings, to realize that your baby is growing up. I get that. But more so, I totally get the ecstatic freedom that comes from being able to rid your house of brightly colored plastic things that were gifted to you on any given birthday or Christmas that your baby played with exactly twice before occupying himself with a box for hours on end. Lugging that stuff to the curb or donating it to a local charity is one of the best feelings in the world (for me).

So you're not alone, is what I'm saying here. All moms suddenly feel like their house is too small when the baby arrives. The good news is: it's only temporary, and what really makes a house feel like a home is the love that you guys now know.

What was your FAVORITE baby item to get rid of?

SarahLena About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • lizzig
  • by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  •  we didn't have much in the way of baby items, no changing table, pack & play, swing/bouncy chair, etc.  really we just had the crib & a walker.  the crib was the one thing i couldn't wait to get rid of.  neither child really used it when they were babies, we co-slept.  not sure why we didn't get rid of it after our first.

• Quote Reply
  • LaniBee
  • by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM
  • We had all kinds of gadgets and stuff with the first baby. Five years later when her sister came along, we only had the basics. Live and learn!

• Quote Reply
  • butterflymama21
  • by New Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 2:42 PM
  • We have car seat / stroller combo,boy clothes from last baby (waiting to find out gender), pack an play,tons if toys,bottles etc.In the room it going into. That stuff takes a lot of space but if I'm not having a boy taking out gender neutral stuff then selling the rest. I have like oh geez like 7 totes of boys clothes from newborn to 5 t . So we probably make some good money on it :)
  • Quote Reply
  • Bob192
  • by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:38 PM
  • The pack and play!!  I got so tired of moving it to get around it.  2nd was the high chair.  The legs stick out and I was forever catching my leg on it.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN