Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Training baby to sleep on his own

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
  • 25 Replies
So what are some different ways that have been successful for you guys for babies to learn how to go to sleep by themselves??
I've been basically rocking my son to sleep since he was born. But now I have back issues, and he's getting so big. I just can't do it much anymore. I switched to just bouncing him in his bouncer, so he could go to sleep that way, but he's too big for that too. I started trying to get him to sleep on his own on Friday night. I swaddled h, and held him, rocked him for about 5 mins, then I put him in his crib, and he screamed and cried for an hour. I went and checked on him every once in a while... But man, it was hard listening to him scream. I've been doing the same thing for his naps and bedtime, but he still cries for atleast 10 to 15 mins. Is it bad that I just let him cry?? I mean.. I kinda feel horrible about it. Any thoughts or ideas to help me out?

I'm quite new at this, so please no bashing.
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:17 AM
How old is he?
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not comfortable letting my children cry. I know when *I* cry, I'd feel horrible to be left alone in a dark room to keep it up until I pass out from exhaustion. Some are fine with it though, I guess it's all what you're comfortable with doing.
I basically just wait for my kids to grow into sleeping on their own. I have huge breasts and the back issues that go with it and top off of the charts large kids, but idk how that's an issue for rocking to sleep. Anyway, the extent of any "training" I've done is to lay them down awake and when they fuss go calm them then repeat until I they either fall asleep or I rock them to sleep. That was mainly with my second child who had major sleep issues and even sleeping with me wasn't working any more.

Good luck, remember, nothing lasts forever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM

This.. and a music box in the crib might help.  

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: How old is he?

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Yeah...it is not good to just let them cry.  And you should never let him cry for an hour.  There was a Harvard study done that proves how damaging letting an infant CIO is.  :(  You can't force developmental milestones, which is what this is.  Back issues or not.

polkaspots
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:01 AM
I nurse them to sleep and then they start going to bed on their own when they're older. I never trained my kids to sleep. They both started going to bed themselves at almost a year old.
I can't imagine leaving a child to cry for no reason like that. Yes, I would say that's bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM
The only time I've let my kids cry is when i was lying next to them and everything else i tried didn't stop the crying. Sometimes they are just overstimulated at bedtime and forcing them to lay down and expecting them to just go to sleep is a lot.

I rock to sleep or lay down with my kids if needed. They are being put in a huge, compared to them, dark space. That's scary and they need to feel secure.
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
We are anti CIO. I find it heartbreaking and cruel leaving a defenseless baby to cry. We just wait for them to grow into sleep on their own. We rock, nurse, etc.
CheerioHolder
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM
2 moms liked this
With my son I would rock him until he's almost asleep, then lay him down and sit next to his crib so he knows he's not alone. I gradually started putting him in his bed sooner (with him more awake) Last night was my first time putting him directly in the bed without rocking, he fussed for a few seconds then went right to sleep. I felt like a had tried everything, I'm surprised but relieved that this worked!
jaxons_mama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:57 AM
This

Quoting Mom2Just1: We are anti CIO. I find it heartbreaking and cruel leaving a defenseless baby to cry. We just wait for them to grow into sleep on their own. We rock, nurse, etc.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
We use CIO properly, starting around 6-8 months, depends on the child. That means getting a child in routine when they are tired, and putting them to bed when they are naturally tired. Make sure their needs are met first (full belly, clean diaper, not too hot/not too cool, etc), and put them in their bed and they will fall asleep. There may be a few minutes of whimpering, and some occasional crying but they do soothe themselves to sleep. There's a difference between the "fighting sleep" and the "I need you" cry.

If they wake in the middle of the night I listen to the cry. If it's a whimper I let it go, I know the sound of the "I need you" cry, and I go to them.

My oldest is 5, and my youngest is 15 months. They are WONDERFUL sleepers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN