Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you feed this your 1 year old. ETA.....

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • 33 Replies

Mobile Photo

So I baby sit for an friend of mine. I watch her off and on because she can't always afford to pay me. Anyway. This is what she sent me to feed her dd. She just turned 1 a few weeks ago. She can't pick things up using her fingers she still does the grab and shove with the whole hand. She doesn't really chew just pushes food with get tongue like a baby just learning to eat baby food. But she has been eating baby food since she was about 3 months old (which I thought was strange that her dr recommend it, according to her mom)
I haven't had her here in a while and went to feed her what was sent which I picked chef boyrd (or how ever it is spelled lol) and even with one noodle at a time she was kind of choking on it because she wasn't chewing it just swallowing. So I nixed that and have her the last jar of baby food I had here from my just in case stash (I watch other kids and like to have my own stash just in case a parent forgets something). I want to ask her to send more appropriate things for her dd but don't want her to think I'm being a bitch or trying to tell her how to parent her child, kwim?
So do you feed your 1 year old any of these things? How should I go about saying something or should i even try to say something? Thanks ladies

Eta
Thanks ladies. I just needed that push that I should say something to the mom.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mysticlily
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM

When my daughter was 1, which was about 2 years ago, I never fed her those in the picture. I made her pastas with the soup noodles :

Or I would cut everything up really really small. She had a tendency to just swallow foods so it I made sure she had very small pieces so she wouldn't choke. She wasn't even allowed to have gummies until about 3 months ago because she didn't like when they would stick to her teeth and she would swallow them whole! She always made me nervous. I would just let your friend know in a polite way that she seems to choke on the foods she gives you and if she can have smaller items.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Lord no. Way too much process food.
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM

No...those aren't appropriate for a 1 year old. Those also aren't the healthiest of foods, I wouldn't eat them myself. :/

ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:19 PM
I wouldn't, but not because of the chewing/choking issues (my 13 mos old chews pretty well). It's more because those are so over processed and just not healthy (or tasty) at all.
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:46 PM

There is no way my child, one year old or not, would be putting that in her body under with knowledge.  There's really no nutrition in that stuff!

It doesn't sound like this baby is ready for solid food, and 3 months is way too early anyhow.  It should be no earlier than 6 months assuming the appropriate milestones have been met.  If the doctor made the recommendation to start at 3 months they are out of date.

Instead of saying "more appropraite food" you could say you're not comfortable feeding her that stuff, and explain why like the choking.  That's perfectly valid.  Give her a suggestion of something you would be comfortable feeding her, and see if it's feasible for the mother to send that instead.

Crob4
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Mmm, sodium. I wouldn't let my kids or any other kids in my care eat that. At one though, she doesn't need baby food. Cut up whatever you're eating into small chunks and let her go to town.
sapphyre_rose
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM
I agree

Quoting MamaBearEH:

There is no way my child, one year old or not, would be putting that in her body under with knowledge.  There's really no nutrition in that stuff!

It doesn't sound like this baby is ready for solid food, and 3 months is way too early anyhow.  It should be no earlier than 6 months assuming the appropriate milestones have been met.  If the doctor made the recommendation to start at 3 months they are out of date.

Instead of saying "more appropraite food" you could say you're not comfortable feeding her that stuff, and explain why like the choking.  That's perfectly valid.  Give her a suggestion of something you would be comfortable feeding her, and see if it's feasible for the mother to send that instead.

JadeTigr7
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Heck no.

AilsaSeoid
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
I would do soup noodles, or rice in broth. Spaghetti Os, occasionally but not all the time. Gerber puffs. Cut up veggies. The mashed potatoes wouldnt be that big of a deal… everything else looks like a no though.
SaimyaAndJoeJr
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM
I would feed myself that food let alone my one year old. My son will be 1 on Friday and he eats toddler and crawler baby food and some of the stuff I cook if its not to spicy or fried
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)