Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cost of your baby

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

Just curious,
(I have posted this question on another board)

What did you buy before the baby was born?
How far in advance did you start buying?
Did you buy it early because it was on sale?

What did you buy shortly after the baby was born (first month)?

How much roughly did you spend prior to the baby coming?
How much did you roughly spend after the baby came (first 6 months)

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:45 PM

lol, at this point I start buying before conception. If it's on sale and I know I'll want/need it for next time, I get it. 

I buy EVERYTHING I could possibly need before baby is born, to the point that I don't even need diapers or wipes for the first month or two. I don't like to leave the house while recovering and with a newborn.

Devious103102
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I bought as much as I could after the first trimester because we were buying everything on our own. For people who prefer to wait I always suggest finding the item you want and stashing the money for that specific item, that way when the time comes that you are ready to buy you have it ready to go. Also you may find it on sale later on.  For DD4 (where we basically started over) We spent less than 500$ for everything because we bought the majority of items second hand.

larissalarie
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 1:51 AM
Clothes, crib, car seat, diapers. Probably started buying late in the second trimester. Didn't care about sales, bought nothing in the first month after baby.

Before baby (the one where I didn't have stuff to reuse) spent maybe $500. In the first 6 months after, spent nothing other than recurring expenses from disposable diapers, which is under $30/month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 2:11 AM

well my insurance charged me $500 per day for my hospital stay, which was 2 days, so that was a definite shock to my system considering Im supposed to have the best plan!  Other than thatm she was our third girl, so really only bought diapers and some new pump parts.

babyliz13
by Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 4:31 AM
This is my first baby so I had a baby shower and got most of the stuff there. I think in the first few months I bought an excersauser (sp) a door way jumper, bottles and the like, and diapers. I'm sure there was some other stuff mixed in there. But I also got a lot of gifts cards to from people at work. so I probably used those to buy some of the stuff I didn't get at my shower.

And I'm stashing away as much stuff as possible from this baby for my next one, just in case I have another girl. and if i have a boy then most of the stuff can still be reused.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 5:35 AM
I didn't buy too much before my twins were born because I really wasn't 100% sure I was keeping them until they were born. I started buying some things when I was 6 months pregnant. I bought 2 cribs and a changing table, a pack and play with two bassinet inserts, a baby swing, a bouncy seat, some clothes and things like wipes, baby shampoo, ect. I bought them some other things after they were born too. I'm not sure how much I spent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I had a shower for my first and got most of what I needed then. I think I bought an outfit or two that I couldn't resist.

For my second my friends threw me a sprinkle since I was having the opposite gender. I bought a couple outfits ahead of time for her too.

kmeow
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I bought the normal stuff before the baby was born: carseat, cloth diapers and cloth wipes, sleeping container. I started buying as in the second trimester. I bought a ton of stuff on sale. My mom bought ninety percent of the baby clothes, just because she was her first grandbaby, but I've been shopping clearance racks and garage sales looking for high quality, name brand blothing for three dollars or less, and she basically has enough clothes until she's two. We also got her carseat on black friday.

Before the baby came, I spent probably five hundred dollar, but it would have been more if I didn't get so many gifts. My daughter is four months and I haven't had to buy anything for her other than infant Tylenol.

la_bella_vita
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I had a shower before baby was born and I was given many items then. We started buying items around the 3 month mark. Whenever we saw sales on diapers we grabbed them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)