Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get my 13 month old to stop

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

Throwing! He's broken 3 bottle and 2 sippy cups and 4 bowls. He doesn't do it so Ill pick it up, he just like to throw lol.

I know he will eventually grow out of it but can I help him do it faster?

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Tell him is not ok to throw and take it away for a bit. You could also try redirecting him with something else to do with his hands.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Give him appropriate objects, times and places where he CAN throw. Some of this is normal as they get more control over their bodies and learn new skills!
abra
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 1:06 AM
This. Especially if you aren't comfortable disciplining, switch to plastic for now and redirect! Good luck, mama!

Quoting expectantmom81: Tell him is not ok to throw and take it away for a bit. You could also try redirecting him with something else to do with his hands.
AirForceMom1987
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I would give his hand a little smack and put an end to it... That being said i know a lot of women are aghenst that so... If he wasn't mine like I was baby sitting or whatever I would keep reinforcing that what he is doing is not exceptable tell him no at 13 months he should know what no means time out generally dont work at that age so that would prob be pointless keep at it he will get it eventually good luck!!
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

This is really good advice. I would say no and then redirect.

Quoting expectantmom81: Tell him is not ok to throw and take it away for a bit. You could also try redirecting him with something else to do with his hands.

la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Redirection and firmly syaing no

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Redirect or give him objects he can throw. I always hand our 2 year old a ball and say, "you can throw this."

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

2many2few
by on Dec. 7, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Give him Nerf type balls to throw into baskets and switch to plastic short term

kmeow
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
"Casting" is an important developmental milestone. Give him things he can throw. He will throw them over and over and over.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)