Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FPIES?

Posted by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM
  • 15 Replies

Has anyone heard of FPIES or had any experience with it?  I saw a mention of it tonight while trying to figure out what's going on with my daughter.  Sounds like it might be what she has.

In October, when DD was 5 months, I gave her some baby oatmeal made with pumped breastmilk.  A couple hours later, she started vomiting repeatedly and profusely until she was dry heaving.  We took her to the ER because she was super lethargic, but once we got there, she perked up, drank Pedialyte, nursed, and was all better.  Well, she did throw up once more the next day, but that was it.  She'd had oatmeal once before, but only a little bit.  Still, I figured I had either failed to properly sterilize the bottle that held the breastmilk, or that her tummy wasn't able to handle cold breastmilk, since I didn't heat it before mixing it with the cereal.  But just in case it WAS the oatmeal, I haven't given her any oatmeal again.

Today, we gave her a cereal puff for the first time -- sweet potato flavor.  She ate one puff and did fine, so we gave her another.  That time, she acted like she was trying to get it out of her mouth, and started crying.  I calmed her down and she was OK.  A couple hours later, same thing again -- profuse vomiting to dry heaving, combined with diarrhea this time.  Lasted about the same amount of time again -- a few hours -- and then she suddenly perked up, took Pedialyte, nursed, and went to bed.  She's had both apples and sweet potatoes in puree form, so I know she isn't allergic to those, which are ingredients in the puffs.  But the main ingredients are rice and oats.  FPIES?  Or just a weird coincidence?  Something else?

by on Dec. 25, 2014 at 11:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies can't digest grains. No solids before 6 months either. It sounds like her body is not ready for solids.
Jenn8604
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Stick to bf for awhile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShowMustGoOn86
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 1:59 AM
This.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Babies can't digest grains. No solids before 6 months either. It sounds like her body is not ready for solids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Well she's almost 8 months now
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby-led solids, no more purees. Breastmilk should still be her main and major source of calories. After a full nursing session, just give her small pieces of whatever you're having. There are all sorts of additives in those puffs, which are really junk food. Stick to whole foods, excluding grains for a while. Solids are not nutritionally necessary until a year of age or so.
NTPractitioner
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Digestive system may not be able to handle certain foods.  This may be corrected with the right digestive enzymes and change in diet. 

la_bella_vita
by on Dec. 26, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Not all little ones can digest grains. We just skipped the grains.

mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Do you have suggestions for the right digestive enzymes/change in diet?

Quoting NTPractitioner:

Digestive system may not be able to handle certain foods.  This may be corrected with the right digestive enzymes and change in diet. 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I would first think that she isn't ready for solid foods - particularly the hard to digest ones like grains & starches.  Some children take longer than others, so just because your child has passed a numerical marker doesn't mean they are ready!

Did you make the purees yourself, or were they store purchased ones?

Pregnancy Journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 weeks | 40 | 41 | 42

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Dec. 26, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Use caution when "correcting" something that hasn't yet developed, so you don't make the body think it doesn't need to do its job.  The pancreas doesn't produce the enzyme necessary to digest grains until the molars are in.  It should be expected that these are very difficult for any baby to tolerate.

Quoting mcmlxxxv: Do you have suggestions for the right digestive enzymes/change in diet?
Quoting NTPractitioner:

Pregnancy Journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 weeks | 40 | 41 | 42

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)