Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Solid food problems

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM
  • 11 Replies
DD is 8 months and breastfeeding. I can't get her to eat solids except purées. She can't have puffs because of digestion issues (she vomits), but I've tried to give her banana and avocado in little pieces and she just spits them out or turns her head away. I know she likes the taste of banana because she eats the purée. I also know she doesn't NEED solids yet, but I may need to go back to working soon, so I'm trying to slowly wean (not completely until after she's 1, but somewhat for now). I think she's scared of solids because she gagged on her first few bites. She likes to play with the banana and avocado, but they are the only things in the world that she puts in her hands but not in her mouth! Help please...
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM

My son didn't like solid food for the longest time. He's now 12 months old and he's only started liking it in the last few weeks. 

She may just not be ready. Or maybe she hasn't found something she really likes. I'd keep experimenting. Cut everything up small and let her taste everything on your plate. My son loved tiny bits of chicken, broccoli, potatoes different ways, etc. 

Luke8212013
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:42 PM

I would just keep trying and offering what your having. My son didn't like to eat until he was 10 or 11 months old. He would gag a lot too he just wasn't ready. Now he pretty much eats anything.

la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 1:43 PM

I would just keep offering until she is ready. Try not to worry, she will pick up on it eventually but if you are like, you will continue to worry, lol

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
She will eat when she is ready. Before a year breastmilk needs to come first. If you're dropping nursing sessions they need to be replaced with formula. If not you're short changing her nutrition. My second didnt even solids until 9 months and it was only every couple of days.
YzmaRocks
by on Jan. 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM
My last two didn't eat solids until 12 months and 14 months. She has plenty of time :)
cali_angel_girl
by Amy on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:20 PM

For the first year their main source of nutrition will come from breastmilk or formula so just keep offering and she will eat when she is ready.

katherine.0706
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
She's not ready. Offer things from your plate slowly. If you're weaning her, are you supplementing with formula? This is all she needs until her first birthday.
mcmlxxxv
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM
Thanks! I'm not replacing nursing sessions yet, trying to get her used to new things as the first step in the transition to "big girl foods." But your responses have made me feel like I'm not so behind after all. Thank you :)
la_bella_vita
by on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:28 PM

Glad it helped : ) 

Quoting mcmlxxxv: Thanks! I'm not replacing nursing sessions yet, trying to get her used to new things as the first step in the transition to "big girl foods." But your responses have made me feel like I'm not so behind after all. Thank you :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 2:25 PM
My third son was almost exclusively breastfed until 13 months. I started baby led solids at 9 months (no purees) and he would gag and throw up. I eventually tried homemade pureed sweet potato thinking it was textural but he still gagged and threw up. I just offered once a month or so. At his birthday he ate his cake but still gagged on everything else, stinker lol. One day at 13 months he grabbed a piece of turkey off my sandwich, chewed it, and swallowed, no gaging. He ate anything from then on. He still nursed every 3 hours until 22 months old.

My fourth, who just turned one, started chunks of foods at 8 months. He gagged and spit up the first couple times and finger painted without eating any food. At 9 months he started putting things in his mouth. At 10 months he started chewing and swallowing. Now he eats a small amount every meal (whatever we eat) plus is still nursing every few hours.

Even if you go back to work there's no reason to wean, you can just nurse after work. Look into reverse cycling, it's not uncommon for babies to go hours without nursing and then make up for it later.

Quoting mcmlxxxv: DD is 8 months and breastfeeding. I can't get her to eat solids except purées. She can't have puffs because of digestion issues (she vomits), but I've tried to give her banana and avocado in little pieces and she just spits them out or turns her head away. I know she likes the taste of banana because she eats the purée. I also know she doesn't NEED solids yet, but I may need to go back to working soon, so I'm trying to slowly wean (not completely until after she's 1, but somewhat for now). I think she's scared of solids because she gagged on her first few bites. She likes to play with the banana and avocado, but they are the only things in the world that she puts in her hands but not in her mouth! Help please...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)