Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how much formula

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:02 PM
  • 21 Replies
My son recently turned 3 months and he mostly drinks formula. He only nurses during the night and early morning. He just started drinking 6 oz of formula, he drinks 4-5 bottles a day. I'm wondering is this is normal
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:24 PM
That's around the intake for a 6 month old baby
Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM
That's a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 8:50 PM

Would you like to get him back to breastfeeding fully? It can be done. It would be healthier and cheaper, too. We can help you in the Breastfeeding Mom's group.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

bxmommy2be
by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 9:23 PM
I don't mind formula feeding. My daughter was formula fed. I believe some people are meant for breastfeeding. I would also like my husband to be able to feed him. I refuse to pump. I hate it and it's very uncomfortable for me. I breastfeed him as much as I can. I notice he pulls on my nipple a lot and I've read that's a sign that he wants more milk then what he's getting.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Would you like to get him back to breastfeeding fully? It can be done. It would be healthier and cheaper, too. We can help you in the Breastfeeding Mom's group.

lovebug8526
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:24 AM
They say you are to take babies weight and times it by 2.5 and that's how many oz he should get in 24 hours.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 1:13 AM
He's doing that because he's being overfed by the bottles and getting frustrated that the breast doesn't pour out unlimited amounts of milk like the bottle does.

If you want to continue nursing and giving formula, I'd suggest you follow the rules for a working mother. Keep bottles small... 3oz, ideally... 4oz at absolute max.

Otherwise, he'll continue to get frustrated at the breast and possibly go on strike and refuse to nurse altogether (that may happen anyway... But this helps to prevent it, at least).

Quoting bxmommy2be: I don't mind formula feeding. My daughter was formula fed. I believe some people are meant for breastfeeding. I would also like my husband to be able to feed him. I refuse to pump. I hate it and it's very uncomfortable for me. I breastfeed him as much as I can. I notice he pulls on my nipple a lot and I've read that's a sign that he wants more milk then what he's getting.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

bxmommy2be
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:35 AM
I don't think Hes being overfed because he cries and then drinks from the bottle without a fight

Quoting SewingMamaLele: He's doing that because he's being overfed by the bottles and getting frustrated that the breast doesn't pour out unlimited amounts of milk like the bottle does.

If you want to continue nursing and giving formula, I'd suggest you follow the rules for a working mother. Keep bottles small... 3oz, ideally... 4oz at absolute max.

Otherwise, he'll continue to get frustrated at the breast and possibly go on strike and refuse to nurse altogether (that may happen anyway... But this helps to prevent it, at least).

Quoting bxmommy2be: I don't mind formula feeding. My daughter was formula fed. I believe some people are meant for breastfeeding. I would also like my husband to be able to feed him. I refuse to pump. I hate it and it's very uncomfortable for me. I breastfeed him as much as I can. I notice he pulls on my nipple a lot and I've read that's a sign that he wants more milk then what he's getting.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

bxmommy2be
by on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:39 AM
That's 32 oz. At his 2 month appointment he was 13 lbs now he must weigh more. Thank you!!!!

Quoting lovebug8526: They say you are to take babies weight and times it by 2.5 and that's how many oz he should get in 24 hours.
Mrs_Boho
by Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd was drinking 9 oz every 3 hours by 3 months old and was not being over fed at all, some kids eat more than others.
Ask your Dr if you are concerned.

I also had my oldest drinking 6oz right from birth every 4/5 hours.

And my youngest was only drinking half an oz to 1 oz every 5 hours from birth to 4 months old and was on a high calorie diet from it.

See all kids are different!
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2015 at 12:45 PM
Look at his fist. That's about the size of his stomach. Compare it to a 6oz bottle.

Yes, the stomach can and will stretch, but when you begin doing it regularly they come to expect it and can't feel full until they're overfull.

This is why he fusses at the breast, because the breast offers a more normal amount of milk, but he *thinks* he needs more to be full because of the bottles.

Do as you like (obviously), just making you aware that this situation can lead to a complete refusal to nurse (aka a nursing strike). If you're OK with that, great.

In research, breastfed babies take .5-3.5oz per feeding, for a total of 19-32oz (25oz average) daily. That stays pretty much the same throughout the first year... Just for reference.

Quoting bxmommy2be: I don't think Hes being overfed because he cries and then drinks from the bottle without a fight

Quoting SewingMamaLele: He's doing that because he's being overfed by the bottles and getting frustrated that the breast doesn't pour out unlimited amounts of milk like the bottle does.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)