Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which did baby get first: breast milk or formula?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM
  • 125 Replies

Which did baby get first in the hospital?

Has baby had both? 

If you nurse: do you pump?

If you formula feed: what brand of formula do you use?

by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastmilk and yes I pumped but baby mostly got it from the tap, lol

WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Breastmilk
I did both. I started supplementing around 6-7 weeks right before I returned to work. I did pump but didn't get a lot.
We used Similac Sensitive and she started using strictly formula at 15 weeks.  

LittleRed80
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM
I have 4 kids. With the exception of my preemie none of my babies have ever had formula.
With my 31 week preemie I exclusively pumped for the first several weeks and they insisted on fortifying the Breastmilk with neosure. He was Ebf once he got home and packed on weight really well.
la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM

I've never worked full time with a baby (I hope that doesn't sound snobby) so I can't imagine pumping enough, I admire women that do, of course but I also fully understand why others can not.  

Quoting WILDCATGAL78:

BreastmilkI did both. I started supplementing around 6-7 weeks right before I returned to work. I did pump but didn't get a lot. We used Similac Sensitive and she started using strictly formula at 15 weeks.  

la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Quoting LittleRed80: I have 4 kids. With the exception of my preemie none of my babies have ever had formula. With my 31 week preemie I exclusively pumped for the first several weeks and they insisted on fortifying the Breastmilk with neosure. He was Ebf once he got home and packed on weight really well.

I'm glad he packed the weight on well : ) 

Bookoholic
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM
Ds had both, plus fattening lipids lol. He was a preemie, they did the lipids then added calories to my breast milk. Dd she gets 100% breast milk, not one drop of formula.

yes there are times I need to pump, I already have 20 bags of frozen breast milk and DD is only 28 days old. They are all 3oz or more.
abra
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Which did baby get first in the hospital?: All my babies got breastmilk first.

Has baby had both?: Most of my kids have. 

If you nurse: do you pump? I did. 

If you formula feed: what brand of formula do you use? Usually Enfamil. 

la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM

Quoting Bookoholic: Ds had both, plus fattening lipids lol. He was a preemie, they did the lipids then added calories to my breast milk. Dd she gets 100% breast milk, not one drop of formula. yes there are times I need to pump, I already have 20 bags of frozen breast milk and DD is only 28 days old. They are all 3oz or more.

That's great!!! Way to go pumping super star! lol

chinosruca
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Formula. My breat milk came in almost a week after she was born and I could only pump. She has a cleft palate, so was unable to nurse. My 4yo got great milk first because my milk came right away and had no physical reasons she couldn't nurse
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 5:01 PM

All three kids: breastmilk. My kids have never had formula and never will.  Speaking of that...Norah is wanting to nurse.  (:  I do pump for a small stash just in case. But generally my babies never leave mom. (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)