Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sudden Eating Issues - Help!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:28 PM
  • 31 Replies

My daughter is 4-months old.  Up until about one month ago, she had zero issues eating.  She was breastfed for the first 2 weeks, and then formula fed after.  She would take down a bottle with ease, and was eating plenty for her weight.  Then, about one month ago, she did a 180.  She would gulp down the first couple of ounces, then would push the bottle out with her tongue.  If you tried to put it back in her mouth again, she would keep pushing it out and would get very upset.  She would have a few normal eating days, then a bad day or two.  Then she starting having a good day and then a bad day.  And now, she nearly has all bad days where she barely takes anything.  For example, there have been days where we could only get 10oz into her in a 24-hour period.

She's been fine otherwise.  Happy, smiling, chatting, wet diapers.  However, I know she's not getting enough to eat and isn't gaining enough weight.  I'm concerned that this will eventually catch up to her and cause developmental issues because of the lack of calories and nutrients.

She went to the doctor last week and was prescribed Zantac for possible silent reflux.  She's been on the Zantac for just over 4 days, and it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.  She had 21.5oz on Saturday, 17oz on Sunday, 9oz (yes, only 9!) on Monday, and then 19oz on Tuesday.  So far, she's only had 7.5oz today (Wednesday).

We are obviously going to call the doctor back to discuss the next steps.  But has anyone else experienced this?  A sudden HUGE change in eating?  If so, what was the diagnosis and how did you treat it?

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Oh man! I'm so sorry. I don't have any experience with that but I hope the doctor helps you figure something out. Good luck!
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 1:44 PM
I'm not sure. What is diaper count in 24 hours?
la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I've never been through this, good luck <3

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:40 PM
Dd was a VERY slow eater, but didn't refuse to it. I hope the dr can find a solution for her.

The only time dd wouldn't take a bottle is when she had thrush because it was uncomfortable to eat.
Vazagu529
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 2:54 PM

She has plenty of wet diapers.  Every time we change her, her diaper is very wet.  I would say at least 6 per day, probably more.

The confusion comes largely from the fact that she was a great eater up until a month ago!  She didn't become uncomfortable after eating, and didn't eat too slow or too quick.  That's why we are so stumped.  This really came out of nowhere! 

When we took her to the doc last week, she told us she had bronchiolitis.  However, it is a new sickness, and she didn't have it when the eating issues started.  She also has a mild case of thrush, but nothing that should cause discomfort when eating.  She had thrush a couple of months ago as well, but it didn't affect her eating at all (we used the Nystatin drops, and it took FOREVER to get rid of the first bout).  So, she's on Zantac and Nystatin drops again, but the Zantac hasn't seemed to make a difference.

I have a feeling she will end up going to a GI doc for testing.

Quoting Mom2Just1: I'm not sure. What is diaper count in 24 hours?

goddess99
by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM

The only time I can remember my dd fussy about eating was when she was teething. Could it be that?

Anony2015
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't do Zantac, I had reflux babies and it makes the issue worse. Switch to Prevacid if possible.
Both of my kids did this, I tried everything. It seemed to go in spurts too. One week would be great and then the next would be misery with little eating. It could be teething at 4 months and that can last awhile. Just keep offering and never push baby to eat. I hope it gets better.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Thrush can make it painful to eat. I dealt with thrush while nursing. Teething can do that as well. No wonder it took forever to clear up. Your dr have you the worse Meds out there for thrush.

Quoting Vazagu529:

She has plenty of wet diapers.  Every time we change her, her diaper is very wet.  I would say at least 6 per day, probably more.

The confusion comes largely from the fact that she was a great eater up until a month ago!  She didn't become uncomfortable after eating, and didn't eat too slow or too quick.  That's why we are so stumped.  This really came out of nowhere! 

When we took her to the doc last week, she told us she had bronchiolitis.  However, it is a new sickness, and she didn't have it when the eating issues started.  She also has a mild case of thrush, but nothing that should cause discomfort when eating.  She had thrush a couple of months ago as well, but it didn't affect her eating at all (we used the Nystatin drops, and it took FOREVER to get rid of the first bout).  So, she's on Zantac and Nystatin drops again, but the Zantac hasn't seemed to make a difference.

I have a feeling she will end up going to a GI doc for testing.

Quoting Mom2Just1: I'm not sure. What is diaper count in 24 hours?

sanj1213
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 5:01 PM
Sorry I don't have any advice.
Curlgurl
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM
Just a thought but could she maybe be getting frustrated because she needs a faster flow nipple? Like maybe she doesn't want to have to work that hard to get her milk anymore or just needs to be able to take in more volume faster now?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)