Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is your go-to purchase for baby showers?

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM
  • 9 Replies

Do Baby Shower Guests Have to Buy Gifts on the Registry?

baby shower gift

So you've been invited to a baby shower -- and want to get a great gift. The mom-to-be has made it easy by providing a registry, but then you stumble across some amazing off-the-beaten-path present you're pretty positive she'll adore. You're probably wondering if it's rude to buy a gift that's not on the registry. After all, she told you what she needs already!

Well, according to party and etiquette experts, it's perfectly fine to branch out beyond the mom-to-be's request list.

"A gift registry is simply a guide; it's not an ironclad law," says Christine Landry, an etiquette expert at Retroette. "The registry is nice because it's fail-safe, but if you think the mom-to-be would really love something off the registry, go ahead and get it for her. Unexpected gifts can be the most cherished sometimes."

Generally the better you know the mom, the more leeway you can take with your gift.

"If you don’t know the mom-to-be’s personality, it’s probably best to stick to the registry," says Megan Frisbee at party site Gig Salad. "But if you two are close and you know she’d love something if she had only seen it first, grab it! It will end up meaning more to her than something she mindlessly scanned with a registry gun."

Not sure you know the mother-to-be well enough?

Here's a good compromise: "If you aren't completely comfortable going rogue, couple a non-registry gift with something small that is on the registry, like bath supplies," suggests Jessica Marventano at Marvelously Well-Mannered. "Then you're covered."

After all: a new mom needs lots of stuff for her baby, but it's no fun to know EVERYTHING she'll receive. So go ahead and surprise her!

What is your go-to purchase for baby showers?

Image via Halfpoint/shutterstock

by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
StreetsAhead
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 11:38 AM
Never been to one or invited to one.

But when someone has a new baby I buy a babygrow that is 3-6mnths and some booties.

For a baby I am very close to I will do a picture for them
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 12:10 PM

The ones I have been to, I usually give money for the big or group gift then I give a smaller gift like clothes, burp clothes, blankets etc.

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:25 PM

I usually get something on the registry or I give a gift card so the mom can get what they want.

la_bella_vita
by on Mar. 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM

We do onesie's and diapers always along with something from the registry, the last shower I attended we did a bath theme, I got the tub, washcloths, washing items, etc

LittleRed80
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 5:18 PM
I usually stick with the registry. I know I appreciate getting things that I registered for. Then I usually give mom a post partum care package with all the items I think are helpful after birth... Maxi Pads, breast pads, lanolin, tucks, colace, lotion, etc.
Jsanchez125
by Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 6:20 PM
No it's not required to buy the exact same thing on the registry. It's nice but you can always buy something that is like the product requested.
Luke8212013
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2015 at 8:37 PM

I usually try to stick to the registry.

Dragonmamas
by Ari on Mar. 17, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Diapers and a gift card.

mommyhonu
by Mary on Mar. 18, 2015 at 5:59 AM
I usually make a handmade baby/lap quilt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)