Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 Must-Have Toys for Your Baby

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:03 AM
  • 9 Replies

7 Must-Have Toys for Your Baby

It's overwhelming. You stand there, staring, looking this way and that. There's just so much. You take a gander at your husband, who seems to be in a trance, paralyzed by all of the options. 

You are standing in the toy section, maybe filling out your baby registry, maybe with your little one in the snuggly carrier. There are a gazillion and one choices when it comes to toys for your little one. Okay, that's not an exact figure, but that's how many it feels like surround you.

Naturally, you want to give your baby anything and everything she needs. But, the truth is, a baby doesn't need that many toys. All she needs a few key toys that will grow with her, nurture her, and help her develop all of those essential physical motor skills and mental pathways.

1. Board books. Earlier this year, the American Academy of Pediatrics officially began advising parents to start reading to their kids from birth as an integral part of early learning development. Choose your own childhood faves or snag new wonderful stories and rhyming books that build those verbal connections.

2. Balls. Rolling large ones help work Baby's large muscle groups that are key to reach those milestones like sitting up and rolling over, while smaller ones that jingle or make noise can be fun for her to grasp and examine. Many come with containers you can use to drop them in or using them later to go into things develop the cause-effect awareness.

3. Play table. We didn't grow up with this toy, but it's a great addition to the must-have toy list. Many have musical elements, which stimulate early learning pathways, but with levers and slides and buttons, your baby also works those fine motor skills. One hint: get one with detachable legs, which will grow you're your baby. Without the legs, you can use it when your baby learns to sit by herself; with the legs, it's a perfect place for her to steady herself as she's taking those first steps.

4. Stacking rings and plastic links. Grasping those rings with both hands begins some central motor skills and as she grows, and stacks them in order over and over again, she's honing early learning skills. Plastic links, with different textures and colors, can be used to teeth on and to hang toys a little out of her reach - a perfect motivator to use (and build) those gross motor muscles.  

5. Play gym. It's a fabulous all-in-one toy you can use from the moment you get your baby home. With attached, colorful toys to stimulate her brain as she observes them, it is the perfect place to let her chill as well as to tackle that all-important tummy time.

6. Stuffed animals and bath toys -- basically anything that can be used to play pretend. Using funny voices, telling made-up stories, just moving them around and "bringing them to life" taps into that uber-important element of imagination, as well as can be used to do "everyday things" for her to start to connect words with actions.

7. Blocks. Having a set of soft blocks serve a double-duty purpose. Your baby can start to build with them, knock them down, toss them across the room - all great for motor and mental skills - while the different textures, sounds, and squeaks are ideal to stimulate and hone her developing senses.

What were your baby's favorite toys?

©iStockphoto.com/ pictafolio

by on May. 5, 2015 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
abra
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:43 AM

My babies loved board books! This is an really great list!

oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM
My kids like stuff animals.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 5, 2015 at 2:14 PM

I agree especially with balls and blocks, all 4 of my children have had a phase where those were the favorite toys. Now my oldest has moved on to lego's : ) 

MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Those are all toy "staples" in our home.  Books are the favorite though.

Read our weekly pregnancy journal for...
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 3334 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | BIRTH

kelly5678
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 6:30 AM

Great list, thanks!

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2015 at 10:25 AM
Great list!
abra
by on May. 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Where do you store your stuffed animals? My husband has a bunch from when he was a kid and they end up all over the house. 

Quoting oliveoil423: My kids like stuff animals.

oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM
Ds has a light in the night. Its like a night light it stays inbyhe conner of his crib when he sleeps at night and when we go for car rides. The he as a beanie baby bunny and mickey mouse at the other end of his crib.

And the rest is in his lil toy bin And in diaper bag. Lol.

Dd has alot more no where to store them except for her bedroom and we had it all set and nice and she destoryed it. She has some where a tv use to be and the some over her crib also.

Quoting abra:

Where do you store your stuffed animals? My husband has a bunch from when he was a kid and they end up all over the house. 

Quoting oliveoil423: My kids like stuff animals.

atxmom04
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:53 PM

animal sound books, stacking cups, trains were her most favs! She has a lovey that she is totally obsessed with and her Zipadee-zip is a big plus too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)