Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My SO is scared of our DD...

Posted by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:38 PM
  • 42 Replies
She's 3 weeks old and he is scared to change her diaper, he freaks out of she starts crying and he gets scared to watch her by himself. We have a DS and he was never like this with him. It's driving me crazy! Did anyone else have a SO/DH that seemed scared of their baby?
by on May. 7, 2015 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by on May. 7, 2015 at 9:21 PM
My husband was timid with our first but once he got older (hold his head up, smile, those types of things), my husband got much more hands on. We are on our 4th so babies are old hat! :)
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2015 at 10:01 PM

Is she more petite and delicate than your son was? My last baby was tiny and still seems tiny to people even now at 8 lbs. My mom (who had 4 kids and has 9 grandchildren) said she was so afraid of breaking her because she seemed so delicate and petite. So perhaps your husband has the same feeling?

Momma_bearTo2
by Member on May. 7, 2015 at 11:29 PM
She only weighed 6 oz less than our son at birth. She is " daintier" I guess lol he actually just changed her diaper for the first time today lol so maybe he is getting used to her.

Quoting GodsAmiga:

Is she more petite and delicate than your son was? My last baby was tiny and still seems tiny to people even now at 8 lbs. My mom (who had 4 kids and has 9 grandchildren) said she was so afraid of breaking her because she seemed so delicate and petite. So perhaps your husband has the same feeling?

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 7:43 AM
Daddy and his girl! Dh was so jumpy at first with her!!
goddess99
by on May. 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Hmm my 1st thought is he just doesn't want to do that stuff. Idk sorry.

novella0708
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

With our first, my DH had never changed a diaper before so he wanted to watch me diaper a few times before he jumped in. Hopefully your SO will get more comfortable as time goes. 

LaniBee
by on May. 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM

No, my DH jumped right on in with both kids. Good luck! 

AbbeysMom2013
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM
Yes dh was this way. I think it's normal. My brother and dad were pretty nervous about her until she was mobile, I guess she didn't seem as fragile then
splatz
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2015 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I think guys are just nervous around newborns in general. I know my SO was always nervous around our first daughter. He was convinced he would break her because she was "so small". She was 9lbs 6oz at birth lol. 

kelly5678
by Member on May. 8, 2015 at 10:24 AM

My sister's husband was like this for the first few weeks when the twins were born, then he got over it. He kept saying "they're too small".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)