Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Won't take bottle

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM
  • 34 Replies
Started solids with my Five month old about two weeks ago. Started off with cereal then moved to baby food. Starting yesterday, he has started refusing the bottle. Take solids like a champ but won't take much from the bottle. I thought he was not feeling well because he still a bit stuffy but he has not given any indication of discomfort. We did notice this AM that his third tooth has start sprouting on the top but it feels like it has already broke through. Today at lunch I gave him his vegetable with cereal and formula and then tried to give the bottle and NOTHING. So I mixed some of the formula with cereal so he would at least get some of the formula and he took that without incident. Any one else have this issue and what did you do? TIA
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2015 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM
Since they are eating more solids they wont drink their bottle as much.
sikkr
by Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:00 PM
Yes I kind of figured that but formula is still important. Should I be worried? He is much more interested in solids than my first child and eats it all up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by on May. 17, 2015 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest did this as a baby, so I changed what I was doing based on research and talking to a dietician.
It is best to be offering the bottle before he eats any solids. He's only 5months old and solids aren't recommended until at least 6months. When babies start eating solids, they're less interested in bottles. Baby cereal and baby foods are basically empty calories and if they fill up on the baby food they won't be getting nearly as much nutrients as they should be getting for growth and development. Formula or BM is what babies need to get proper nutrients for growing, the other stuff is just extra for the first year.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
He is too young for solids anyways. Formula or breastmilk first. No solids until he takes his bottle. Solids are not necessary and ahluld not replace his bottles.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Research has proven babies are short changed this way on nutrition. Formula or breastmilk first.

Quoting oliveoil423: Since they are eating more solids they wont drink their bottle as much.
ArwenEvenstar
by New Member on May. 17, 2015 at 4:44 PM
I agree with this..

Quoting Mom2Just1: He is too young for solids anyways. Formula or breastmilk first. No solids until he takes his bottle. Solids are not necessary and ahluld not replace his bottles.
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM
No. My kids nurse said its normal for babys not to take bottle after they eat solids.

My son is seven months he has a jar of fruit in the morning he waits two the three hours before he wants his bottle.

Then at lunch he has a jar of veggies and fruit. And then he waits another two the three hours before another bottle feedng.

Then he eats a jar of veggie and fruits for dinner. And waits till about seven seven thirty before another bottle.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Research has proven babies are short changed this way on nutrition. Formula or breastmilk first.

Quoting oliveoil423: Since they are eating more solids they wont drink their bottle as much.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Too young for solids. Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary. From all baby food; the formula should be his main and major source of calories through the first year. When baby is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full bottle. You can offer a sippy cup if he won't take the bottle. Treat the teething pain 15-30 minutes before feeding.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm going with proven research. You have mentioned you give your babies under one almond milk. No offense but your advice is dangerous. Your baby should be getting more formula than that.

Quoting oliveoil423: No. My kids nurse said its normal for babys not to take bottle after they eat solids.

My son is seven months he has a jar of fruit in the morning he waits two the three hours before he wants his bottle.

Then at lunch he has a jar of veggies and fruit. And then he waits another two the three hours before another bottle feedng.

Then he eats a jar of veggie and fruits for dinner. And waits till about seven seven thirty before another bottle.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Research has proven babies are short changed this way on nutrition. Formula or breastmilk first.

oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2015 at 6:49 PM
Its none of your damn business if i do. He is still getting what he needs as half and half. And he is doing great.

Once they turn four months they are allowed to have baby food. And they say its normal not to be drinking so much formula. Cause most of the baby food like veggies and fruits are healthy for them. They do research just so they can get money for it.

Quoting Mom2Just1: I'm going with proven research. You have mentioned you give your babies under one almond milk. No offense but your advice is dangerous. Your baby should be getting more formula than that.

Quoting oliveoil423: No. My kids nurse said its normal for babys not to take bottle after they eat solids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)