Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newborn Gets Herpes Virus From a Loved One's Kiss (PHOTO)

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:30 AM
  • 8 Replies

Newborn Gets Herpes Virus From a Loved One's Kiss (PHOTO)

New parents are already nervous as is about their bundle of joy. As you can imagine, one of the last things they want to hear about are more dangers to take heed, but this one deserves your ear. U.K. mom Claire Henderson is warning all parents on the dangers of a newborn getting kissed on the face.

Claire's precious infant, Brooke Henderson, was hospitalized for five days after contracting a herpes virus. As scary as that sounds, what's even more shocking is how she got it: from a kiss on the face.

It's so hard to imagine a baby suffering from a herpes virus because of a sweet gesture. Unfortunately, the herpes simplex virus can be fatal for infected newborns as their little bodies don't have a developed immune system like adults. While death is certainly the extreme end of the spectrum, symptoms can include a high fever and even seizures.

Having my second child a few months ago, I only allowed a few close family members to visit us. Call me a worry rat, but I didn't want my baby around a ton of people -- especially since he wasn't vaccinated. I can only imagine how I would've reacted if I saw this then. Hopefully learning about this won't make you reenact Outbreak, though it is good to know about things that are potentially life-threatening to your child.

Image via Claire Henderson / Facebook

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 9:53 AM
I'm assuming they're talking about the cold sore herpes virus. This is how my dh got it too.

I'll add that it was from his mother while she had an open soar... It wasn't some unknown secret attack.
la_bella_vita
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Quoting ceckyl: I'm assuming they're talking about the cold sore herpes virus. This is how my dh got it too.

I'm wondering that as well

Jsanchez125
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Poor baby!!! I let people come around her but no kisses on the face. And I always made people wash their hands and use sanitizer repeatedly. Unfortunately though she did catch pink eye from her older sister. Her eye was swollen and my daughter was crying for days because she felt so bad that her baby sisters eyes got so big she could not open them. Luckily after that she learned to not get in the baby's face.
mychinababy
by on Sep. 27, 2015 at 9:30 AM
Just in case you didn't know, a few drops of breast milk in the infected eye clears up pink eye very quickly. For us the longest case of pink eye we had was under 24 hours.

Quoting Jsanchez125: Poor baby!!! I let people come around her but no kisses on the face. And I always made people wash their hands and use sanitizer repeatedly. Unfortunately though she did catch pink eye from her older sister. Her eye was swollen and my daughter was crying for days because she felt so bad that her baby sisters eyes got so big she could not open them. Luckily after that she learned to not get in the baby's face.
DreamJoyHope_R
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2015 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
It's common knowledge that you don't kiss a baby, or anyone, when you yourself are sick. Just like you don't have intercourse with a person having an active outbreak, you don't kiss them or let them kiss your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2015 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!

Quoting DreamJoyHope_R: It's common knowledge that you don't kiss a baby, or anyone, when you yourself are sick. Just like you don't have intercourse with a person having an active outbreak, you don't kiss them or let them kiss your baby.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I limit exposure to baby and no getting in their face.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

expectantmom81
by Erin on Sep. 28, 2015 at 9:33 PM
Poor baby
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)