Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your baby watch TV?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM
  • 36 Replies

My husband pretty much has the tv on 24/7.  I try not to let the baby watch tv, but sometimes when he holds her, she turns her head towards the tv and looks at it.  She's only 2 months old. He watches her a couple hours a day while I'm at work and I know sometimes he is just sitting there watching tv with her laying on the boppy pillow in his lap.  Even when shes' not in his lap, the tv is on in the background.  I try to keep the volume down so she's not listening to it.  Is this bad?  I know tv's not good for babies, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with their kids watching tv as babies and if it stunted their development or anything.

by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oliveoil423
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:01 PM
My son is 11 month old and watch TV. If a show is on and doesn't keep his interest then he goes plays. My daughter was 2 months old when she started.

If something like PBS kids and Disney Jr I don't see a problem with it. My dh's friends at work has kids that are my daughters age and they watch mickey mouse club house and learned how to talk. See with my daughter she watch it all the time and doesn't help her talk as much.
stormie1985
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 5:55 PM
Oh man my 11 month old will only ever let me put him down if Sprouts The Chica Show is on. So darn right when something needs to get done, I let him. SO likes the tv on where I typically do not like the distraction
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 25, 2015 at 6:58 PM
As long as they're not sitting there vegging out to hours upon hours of tv time per day, it's ok. My DH has it on like that too. When he's not home, the tv is rarely on.
Savey228
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 10:37 PM
My dh and I noticed when his first son was our sons current age, the back of his head was flat and we're sure that was due to his ex always leaving his son in front of the tv, especially bc he'd be so mesmerized when it was on lol. So our son is currently 4 mts and I make him play with toys or do tummy time more so than let him sit and watch tv. Maybe when he's a lil older I'll let him have TV time for now I want him to learn and try to get used to his surroundings more than a screen
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's more important that he's getting the cuddle time with dad.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 6:12 PM
We don't allow
Tv that young.
momofnatalie
by on Sep. 26, 2015 at 6:19 PM

We didn't let her watch TV when she was young.  When she was napping I would be watching TV.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM
Yes some. My son is almost 6 months and he's in the room with the TV on but I can't say he really watches it. But our TV is on most of the day.
mamamedic69
by on Sep. 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM

We are not big TV people here so it is rarely on.  At that age we always had music playing, and sometimes we still do.

DelilahsMom4108
by on Sep. 26, 2015 at 10:54 PM
My children have all watched tv and it has not affected them in any way. In fact some of the shows I put on for them are educational and have helped development of anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)