Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help!!! Similac Alimentum **Update**

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM
  • 37 Replies
My son was changed to similac alimentum because of an allergy (we were on similac advanced and then sensitive) he was given the ready to feed as a trial and he seemed fine so we changed he has been on it since the 21st and yesterday he started with diarrhea, he now has a rash.

I was told that it could take up to a week for his belly to adjust, but I feel horrible for him his butt is raw.

Has anyone here used alimentum what was your experience?!

Thanks

**Update**

Thank you all so much for your replies and your advice, since yesterday he has been doing better his butt is no longer raw... (Used coconut oil and a&d) we are now applying power after each change just to keep it dry, he is pooping less and still a bit watery but becoming more pasty like, most important for me is that he is eating normal and his wet diaper count is normal as well. I will still call the doctor tomorrow and give her an update and see what she says.
Thanks again.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2five87
by Member on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
We used it for a couple months and had the same problem. He is on Neocate now and it's been great.
Luke8212013
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 5:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My son ended up on neocate also, but i was also told it could take up to two weeks to adjust to a new formula. I hope your little guy starts to feel better soon. 

Try keeping his diaper off as long as you can, get some air to that area and it can be dry. We used aquaphor and that worked really well when our son had a diaper rash. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 10:02 AM

I have no experience with formula.  Perhaps give it longer.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 10:16 AM
No experience with formula, but plenty with sensitive skin. Keep your baby bottomless at least half an hour a day. Since he's probably young, just laying him on a towel should do it.
Gold bond makes a medicated baby powder, which was the best thing for preventing diaper rash for my oldest.
Add a couple tbsp of baking soda to his bath. Let him soak before bathing for real.
Don't be afraid to try different rash creams.
kiki719
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 12:41 PM
We have used it for 2 months no issues
mugglemama
by Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM
Use plain corn starch on his bum. Also there is an organic ha formula made in Europe called hipp organic HA. You can look on eBay to see what I'm talking about. I've had good expierience with the regular formula made by them. Not loaded with all kinds of stuff that has no business being in formula made here in the states. I order from eBay, amazon.canada, and babyfoodorganic24.com. Hope this helps and that his bum gets better.
uriahadel
by Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 2:47 PM
My son had to use it for his kidney problem and Ww had no problems.
MamaBearEH
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM

First off if you're changing to avoid the dairy allergen then your care provider deserves a schmuck.  This forumla is dairy based, and if you suspect an allergy you need to remove the allergen - not process it more.  That works for intolerances, where there is trouble digesting only.  Not where the actual presence of an item causes an allergic reaction.  You need to remove the allergen in order to prevent the allergic reaction.  I know it's marketed towards allergic babys, but all the manufacturers need is to feel like it works in most cases to be labelled hypoallergenic.  It's a crock, and the doctors are trained to give this stuff out as they get bonuses and freebies.  This is a huge pet peeve of mine!

If there is a true allergy you need a non-dairy based forumla like Elecare or Neocate.

Have a signficant other that's away most of the time due to work?
Join me in HARDLY THERE, and meet other mothers who can relate.

Mom2five87
by Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah.... My son is allergic to milk and we went from Similac to Similac Sensitive to Alimentum to EleCare and FINALLY to Neocate. I was really annoyed that it took the allergy doctor that long to figure it out. 😒

Quoting MamaBearEH:

First off if you're changing to avoid the dairy allergen then your care provider deserves a schmuck.  This forumla is dairy based, and if you suspect an allergy you need to remove the allergen - not process it more.  That works for intolerances, where there is trouble digesting only.  Not where the actual presence of an item causes an allergic reaction.  You need to remove the allergen in order to prevent the allergic reaction.  I know it's marketed towards allergic babys, but all the manufacturers need is to feel like it works in most cases to be labelled hypoallergenic.  It's a crock, and the doctors are trained to give this stuff out as they get bonuses and freebies.  This is a huge pet peeve of mine!

If there is a true allergy you need a non-dairy based forumla like Elecare or Neocate.

Monroy702
by Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM
The sensitive was causing dry skin and a dry scalp.

Quoting MamaBearEH:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)