Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opinions please

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 7 year old ds is a picky eater. Currently I offer him supper if he will not eat what I have made for dinner. I want to stop offering him a second supper but at the same time I feel guilty and don't want him going to bed hungry. What are your thoughts and opinions on this? What do you do?
by on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 7:48 PM
I always make or add one thing my son likes and if he eats everything fine but if not I know he got one thing. I usually cave and give him a fruit or yogurt before bed but we're not strict
expectantmom81
by Erin on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:14 PM
Thank you :-)

Quoting mammabear413: I always make or add one thing my son likes and if he eats everything fine but if not I know he got one thing. I usually cave and give him a fruit or yogurt before bed but we're not strict
mrsniebo
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 10:41 PM
I hate seeing my kids go to bed if they choose to be picky. While my oldest has outgrown this phase, it's been a struggle with my middle child for awhile now. My picky eater will help me cook dinner some days. He's usually a bit more interested in eating dinner if he was involved in cooking it.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:43 PM
He's old enough to make the choice. In my house it's eat or go hungry until the next meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsc19
by Member on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:59 PM
My 9 yr old is the same way. I usually make a side dish he likes. Or he can eat cereal or a sandwich.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 31, 2016 at 11:59 PM
My two older kids tried this, once each. I made a meal for all of us to eat, and if they didn't eat it, I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge for later. When they said they were hungry, they got that plate of food. If they didn't eat it, the food went in the trash (or I ate it) and they got nothing. If they started complaining about what they were eating, I sent them to bed without eating (as it was usually dinner). I was a single mom then and couldn't afford to waste food.
lenashark
by Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 12:04 AM

If you let him control whats for dinner, he will only remain picky. Why should he try new things when he can just have what he wants and what he knows he likes. Offer him what you made for dinner and require him to stay at the table until everyone is done eating. If he refuses to eat, that's it, kitchen it closed. If he says he is hungry, reheat whatever was for dinner. If he still refuses to eat it, he can go to bed hungry, you have no reason to feel guilty, that is his choice. I know way too many teenagers who literally live off microwave pizzas, chicken nuggets, and pasta because their parents never enforced that they were to eat whats served and they always are allowed to have a second meal.

WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM

I don't have a picky eater, but I do have a toddler. When she doesn't want to eat dinner, I offer it later when she says she is hungry. If she still doesn't eat it, I just offer her a sandwich or some cereal. I don't want to make food a battle or for her to go to bed hungry either. 

la_bella_vita
by on Feb. 1, 2016 at 8:39 PM

My kid's can either eat what I'm cooking or get leftovers, I can't remember the last time they got leftovers though, lol. Can you tailor meals to his liking?

tiredmomfor2
by on Feb. 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM
It is an eat it or to hungry until the next meal at our house. I always required them to try everything on their plate when they were younger. With in reason of course.
We also made the habit of feeding them what we were eating, from as early as they were able. I think the early exposure makes a big difference. We don't serve very much 'kid food'.
Now the oldest three are really good eaters. They are willing to try just about anything and eat a wide variety of things on a regular basis. (Shrimp, olives, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, most things that kids typically won't eat.) Our oldest isn't a fan of raw onion and our second doesn't like mayo on her sandwiches. No big deal. That stuff I can live with...they are allowed to have preferences.
It was a lifestyle choice from early on for us. It worked and continues to work for us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)