Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Packing for baby's first plane trip?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:16 AM
  • 14 Replies

Do you pack diapers for your stay or just buy a pack when you get there?  Do you pack their favorite bedtime books?  What do you recommend to bring on the plane to keep them busy?  Do you pack their potty seat?

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:28 AM
How old is your baby?
beadfairy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 6:43 AM
It depends if I will have a car or time to shop as to how many diapers I pack. I always brought one book and one lovey. No potty seats unless if it's an extended stay. And one sippy cup.

For the plane: small toys one at a time, finger foods, something to suck or chew on during take off and landing. Can they watch a show/movie on your laptop with headphones?

Also, disinfecting wipes. I wiped down our entire row of places my kids could touch as soon as we board so I don't have to worry about it later.
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM

It really depends. When I flew cross country to San Diego I just packed what I needed to get there and bought diaper once I was there. When I've traveled out of the country with my kids, I've packed diapers for the entire trip. 

I usually pack one or two books for the plane, crayons depending on age, a fully charged iphone and ipad (depending on age), and other easy to travel with things--small toys, etc. I have a fold up potty seat that I have brought, but usually I just buy a pack of potty seat liners from babies r us. 

melindabelcher
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Varies.
In the plane:
Diaper bag with snacks, toys, drink, diapers and clothes.
car seat
Carrier
Checked:
Clothes and diapers/wipes(cloth) additional activity items.
MixedCooke
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM
19 months

Quoting MusherMaggie: How old is your baby?
notuseless
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:10 PM
Bring something that they can chew on. Some yummy snacks, diapers for the whole trip, a tablet with puzzles and games that the 19 month old likes and and a portable potty seat not a chair $20 at walmart.
guppysown
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM

We're flying with our three children- 1, 3, and 5 for the first time this summer.  I've been reading every blog and list I can find on what to pack and other travel suggestions. 

We plan to take some diapers, but also looked to see where the closest retailer was to where we are staying and plan to buy more. 

We will take anything that they can't sleep without, but will skip some of the extras.  On vacations our schedules vary slightly anyway to I don't think it will be noticed. 

We plan to take some finger friendly snacks, I'm leaning towards raisins at this point, as well as a couple of toys for the plane. Our flight is relatively short. We don't do media with our children.  

One of the better suggestions I read was to let baby be active at the gate. Once you board then activity will be limited, so find a safe place for baby to get some movement in before hand.  

Lots of blogs I read talk about the "emergency" they ended up having and so now they always take __.  The fact is, you can't be prepared for every emergency.  You know what's likely for your baby.  We will take a change of clothes and some general clean up stuff. I do think a ziploc is a good idea if you end up with a mess.  

fullxbusymom
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:22 PM

Pack diapers and any normal things.  No I do not pack a potty seat I just hold them on the seat at at 19mo's is he even trained yet?

For the plane ride plan it around nap time or bedtime and place them in their car seat and they should just sleep for the entire ride. 

notuseless
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:24 PM
People will give you attitude and the stink eye but dont worry just enjoy the trip and make sure to get tickets early
WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 2:19 PM

When my daughter was a baby, I would buy a small pack and put in the suitcase and then have some in the diaper bag. For all the toys and distractions I brought when we flew, my daughter slept most of the flights. 
*You'll be able to board early and get situated. They let families with young children/babies board after the first class passengers.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)