Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipation. Dehydration? Update

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM
  • 10 Replies
Monday, I called the dr because DS (5.5 months) hadn't pooped since Thursday and when he did it was kind of like drying out playdoh. He normally goes once or twice a day and it's mushy baby poop. The dr recommended a tsp of prune juice with each feeding until he poops. And if he didn't poop by bedtime, give him a tsp of baby prunes. So that's what I did. After I fed him the baby prunes, he pooped a lot. Towards the end of the day yesterday, his poops were getting more and more solid, like they were Thursday. Today, he pooped a very small, crumbling pellet.

Last night, he went to sleep around 730. Around 10, I changed him, fed him, and put him back to sleep. That diaper was a little wet but nothing big. At 430, he woke up, I changed him, fed him and put him back to sleep. That diaper was barely wet. He woke up for the day at 8. His diaper was dry. I changed him before his first nap a little bit ago and the diaper was barely wet. His newborn diapers had more in them than these.

He's eating normally. 6oz 5-6 times a day. So his output is not matching his input. I get the feeling that something isn't right. He's crankier than normal. We think he's teething, so cranky could be that. No solids except for the few bites of prunes.

Am I worrying for nothing? Should I call the dr? Let things be and see how they work out?

Update

The dr says he is not dehydrated and he is healthy. She said this is a normal thing some babies go through as their systems mature. She recommends "P" fruits to help him poop, about a tablespoon or so a day. She said he will probably have a big pee later and that he may go longer without peeing now too.
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM
If you're worried call the dr.
onehotmama410
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM
I did. They wanted me in in 30 mins. But the car seat is in df car. :/ So we are going in at 330. I thought I'd ask you guys because you guys are always helpful. :)

Quoting melindabelcher: If you're worried call the dr.
melindabelcher
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM
Good luck at the dr.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 1:50 PM
I'm not sure. Hopefully the dr has some answers.
la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM

I hope the DR gave you some answers, update when you can

onehotmama410
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:31 PM
Updated. :)

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I hope the DR gave you some answers, update when you can

la_bella_vita
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:18 PM

I'm glad he is healthy and I hope he continues to improve.

melindabelcher
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:24 PM

We don't personally do solids so young. 

But glad you have an answer

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Breast or formula?
onehotmama410
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:25 PM
Formula.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breast or formula?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)