Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control options after baby

Posted by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM
  • 38 Replies
Having our third baby in August. She may or may not be our last. (I'll only be 26, I have time to decide). I do know I don't want kids close in age again!!( our oldest 2 are 14 months apart)

I've always been hesitant about hormonal birth control while breastfeeding girls. I know it's a far fetched thing but I'm afraid me taking hormones will mess with their fertility when they're older (since they already have eggs).

Dh won't wear condoms even if he's paid to do it.

Anyone have experience with either the copper IUD or la diaphragm?
Oh, natural family planning worked quite well for us but only after my period came back (about 17 months pp with DD2).

I think we probably will go for a fourth in 3ish years. Dh will probably get snipped after that.

Any other ideas or recommendations? What are you ladies on?
by on May. 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suomynona_amam
by on May. 9, 2016 at 1:33 AM
I have nexplanon. It's hormonal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luke8212013
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2016 at 7:35 AM
I had the paragaurd iud after my son was born. I loved the idea that it was non-hormonal. I hated it, my periods were so heavy and really difficult to manage. This might be tmi- I would leak through a super tampon and pad. My periods would be 8 or 9 days long and I would sometimes get a period twice a month. I felt awful. I had it for 11 months- my gyne said to give it time to let my body adjust to it. And having it inserted hurt like heck.
So- I wouldn't recommend that to anyone!
I'm not really sure what else you could use without hormones- my husband and I used condoms for a little while.
LaniBee
by on May. 9, 2016 at 7:42 AM
I've always used the pills, so here's a BUMP for you :-) Congratulations!
Hannahsmommy816
by on May. 9, 2016 at 7:49 AM

try the mini pill? i tried it but it made me woozy/dizzy

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2016 at 8:14 AM
I'm really no help but I hope you do find some answers.
TigerofMu
by on May. 9, 2016 at 8:24 AM

We use condoms.  I had surgery last fall and am supposed to not get pregnant for two years, for mine and the baby's health.  DH actually chose those, because he was concerned about the side effects of the hormonal birth control.

Stevensmomma
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2016 at 8:27 AM
Iud cooper one ?
Not sure talk to your ob he can give you a list
momofsixangels
by on May. 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM
I've never tried that sorry no advice here
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:57 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 9, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Always used the pills as well,
Hope others can help :)

MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2016 at 9:36 AM
I used NFP successfully. The book,"Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a great resource. Check to see if NFP classes are offerred in your area. There is more than one option for NFP.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)