Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

zucchini squash

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM
  • 28 Replies
I want to make my own puree for my son and I was thinking about doing it with my zucchini squash. But do you think it's safe? I know they make squash for babies so I'm assuming it's totally fine. I'm just wondering if its one of those things pediatricians don't recommend til a certain age. My son is 7 months. .also what's a good way to make your own purees
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:07 PM
No need for purees. They teach babies to swallow without chewing, making for a potentially dangerous transition to table food. If he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session or bottle. If he can't do all of this just yet, wait a few more weeks. Breastmilk or formula should be his main and major source of calories through the first birthday with other foods just for fun until then. I would fix the zucchini as you normally do (I'm guessing you peel it) and let him try for himself. If there are no known family food allergies, no need to hold off on anything but honey and corn syrup (Karo). My daughter actually started solids by grabbing a piece off her daddy's sandwich while sitting on his lap. I didn't do purées with either of mine. They eat everything, but are and were particularly partial to meat.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:33 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie: No need for purees. They teach babies to swallow without chewing, making for a potentially dangerous transition to table food. If he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session or bottle. If he can't do all of this just yet, wait a few more weeks. Breastmilk or formula should be his main and major source of calories through the first birthday with other foods just for fun until then. I would fix the zucchini as you normally do (I'm guessing you peel it) and let him try for himself. If there are no known family food allergies, no need to hold off on anything but honey and corn syrup (Karo). My daughter actually started solids by grabbing a piece off her daddy's sandwich while sitting on his lap. I didn't do purées with either of mine. They eat everything, but are and were particularly partial to meat.
thanks. He meets all signs of being ready for soilds. However due to his medical issues it's safe for us at this point to do purees. Once his teeth come in I'll start doing BWL
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
With his medical issues, I would be inclined to just wait until he has teeth, then. The solids aren't nutritionally necessary at this point. Frozen breastmilk or formula cubes in a mesh feeder might be a good option. He can sit at table with you with an empty cup, bowl and spoon.
browncoat
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:55 PM

I wouldn't bother with a puree. Cook it soft and cut it into very small pieces. 

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:34 PM

I second no purees, If he has medical issues I would hold off on solids.  Squash is great first food though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mary716
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Zucchini squash is fine to puree and feed to him. Bananas, apples, sweet potato, avocado, butternut squash, pears, peaches, etc. Are all fine to give. Just steam the harder ones first then puree. Oh carrots, green beans and peas too. All three of my kids were on solids at 4 months, all of them are perfectly healthy and don't have allergies or sensory issues. They also ate purees and surprise surprise didn't choke to death because they didn't know how to chew.
Azure
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie: With his medical issues, I would be inclined to just wait until he has teeth, then. The solids aren't nutritionally necessary at this point. Frozen breastmilk or formula cubes in a mesh feeder might be a good option. He can sit at table with you with an empty cup, bowl and spoon.

Agreed.

DisabledVet
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I've stopped listening to the rules since they screwed so many babies with their no peanut bs that caused so many kids to be allergic. 

rachel216
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:43 PM
Quoting DisabledVet:

I've stopped listening to the rules since they screwed so many babies with their no peanut bs that caused so many kids to be allergic. 

typically I would 200% agree with you. I'm just really nervous about giving my son foods bc of his health conditions.
rachel216
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting browncoat:

I wouldn't bother with a puree. Cook it soft and cut it into very small pieces. 

purees are the safest option for my lo at this point. Hr has airway defects that effect his ability to swallow
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)