Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Napping schedule

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM
  • 14 Replies
Haley is 9 months old and I'm transitioning her to sleep in her crib for naps instead of her swing which she's too big for and I'm transitioning her to 2 naps now. She is not liking the transition to either one and I'm not sure how to handle it right now. I've always told myself to walk away instead of getting angry with her but I'm really very frustrated. We've been making the transition for about a week and she still screams her head off. What else can I do? She gets so overtired because she won't sleep long enough in the morning that she fights me at her 2nd nap. Help.

I guess I should add I'm trying to transition from 3 naps to 2 naps, not from 1 to 2 naps. Trying to cut her back from sleeping so much. And she does sleep through the night but she sleeps better if I take away a nap in the day.
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she is not ready. I've always nursed my kids to sleep and they only took one nap.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
You can't make her sleep more than she will. At that stage, we were still napping together.
hurst0three
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 6:24 PM
She has to transition to her crib. She is too big for her swing and that is what she doesn't like the most. I have 4 other kids, 3 in school, 2 at home. As much as I'd love to I can't nap with her and I'm not nursing her. Thanks for your reply.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Sounds like she is not ready. I've always nursed my kids to sleep and they only took one nap.
newmelly2009
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she's used to falling asleep in the swing and doesn't know how to sleep on her own, like when my kids learn to nurse and fall asleep. This is called using props. I would google prop sleeping baby to find some help with that good luck
AutasticMomx2
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Rock her til she's drowsy, then put her down. She's used to That motion and is probably startling herself awake without it. Every time she cries, go in, say something soothing to her, touch her, and walk out again. This way she knows you are there for her, but you aren't going to let her get away with no sleep.
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:39 PM
I have three kids. 2 in school. We also bed share. I don't take naps with our youngest. Never have.

Quoting hurst0three: She has to transition to her crib. She is too big for her swing and that is what she doesn't like the most. I have 4 other kids, 3 in school, 2 at home. As much as I'd love to I can't nap with her and I'm not nursing her. Thanks for your reply.

Quoting Mom2Just1: Sounds like she is not ready. I've always nursed my kids to sleep and they only took one nap.
Element5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 8:54 AM
At that young age babies should sleep as much as they can.. and getting her up in the morning.. then breakfast and nap time about 2 hours after getting up is what works for us.. then lunch when she wakes up and about 2 -3 1/2 hours play time.. make sure you leave about 3 hours before bedtime..

My baby is 18 months and that's her schedule.. you have to set the time and she will adjust. But it might take few days.. also keep in mind that all babies are different..

Here is my babies

School day when I have to drive boys to school
7:20 wakes up
9:30- 12-12:30 nap
(1:15 Monday's and other days 2:15 I have to get boys from school) so either have a neighborhood watch her ( as she sleeps) or if she is up I take her
3-3:30 for 2nd nap till 5.. I do wake her up by 6 is she was tiered
Bedtime is 8:30pm

Obviously food and play or trips inbetween.
la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Sounds like my son, I had to take him for walks to fall asleep but he was 6 months when I transitioned. Would she let you baby wear? That's how I would get my daugther to fall asleep. It's hard for me to help because I have 4 kid's and all them were nursed to sleep. 

I understand your frustration and I'm not ashamed to admit, I've felt the frustration you are talking about. I would speak to myself and remind myself how they are little for only so long.

This is the best piece advice I've ever gotten and I swear by it, baby responds to your emotions, try to calm yourself down because baby will calm down. Sounds crazy but it works.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
28 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM

I like the idea of rocking her if you can til she is sleepy,
Best of luck :)

WILDCATGAL78
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I agree with the rocking or wearing. I never scheduled naps. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)