Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just too early for milk? Or something more?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:04 AM
  • 14 Replies
DS is 13 months. The dr gave us the go ahead for whole milk. DS wouldn't drink more than a sip before deciding that he didn't want it, so we did what the dr suggested and started cutting his formula with milk. The first week he has 2 oz of milk with 4 oz of formula. He got a little more fussy than normal, but no other issues that we could see. The week after that, he got 4 oz of milk with 2 oz of formula. He was still fussy, but he also started spitting up again. Last week, he was sick and wouldn't drink the milk or any juice or water but would drink formula, so he was back on that for most of the week. (Hospital suggested going back to straight formula after he was very dehydrated because he wouldn't drink.) after he stopped vomiting, the spit ups stopped too. Saturday we started the milk/formula again (2oz milk/4pz formula) and he started spitting up as soon as he got the first bottle. So we called his dr but he's out of town. So we are back to all formula. Yesterday he got some cheese and started spitting up. Today, no milk or milk products and no spit up.

His formula is the enfamil toddler formula. It's milk based. But it's not causing any issues. It's not until he gets milk, yogurt or cheese that he starts spitting up. (Although the yogurt could have been the beginning of him being sick. The day after that was when he really was sick)

His paternal grandfather is allergic to milk. He still drinks it because when he was young his drs said "well, he still needs it, so make him drink it anyway".

DS had reflux when he was younger. He would choke on it in his sleep and stop breathing. He's been coughing in his sleep again too, so it's not just the spitting up that worries me. (He's back on the AngelCare monitor too, just in case.)

Could it just be that he isn't ready for it yet? Or could it be that he has an issue with it? We have an appointment for when his dr comes back, I'm just looking for advice and words of wisdom. :)
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM
You could do almond milk. We don't drink cows milk because our son has a milk allergy.
MusherMaggie
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM
I would say he has a problem with dairy that is less processed than formula. Look up foods with the same nutrients. Dark leafy green vegetables served with fruit is a good start. He may also benefit from non-dairy based probiotic.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 12:41 PM

The milk protein in formula is broken down so it is easier to digest.  I agree with the previous posters that it sounds like he has a problem with cows milk. You can try almond or coconut milk.  You could also try goats milk as some folks who cannot tolerate regular milk seem to tolerate goats milk just fine. And you could try the lactose free milk -- Lactaid.  If he has a lactase deficiency then he may be able to tolerate Lactaid milk which has the lactose removed.  

BeautifulMomof1
by Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:09 PM

sounds like a food allergy to dairy . . does he have to have a special formula??

AutasticMomx2
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 4:26 PM
My son had similar issues. Very little trouble with enfamil formula, but can't tolerate regular dairy. We just don't give him dairy. We do coconut milk yogurt, chocolate almond milk, and Daiya cheese on pizza or tacos. Other than that, he just eats meats, carbs, and produce. He is on the small side, but perfectly healthy.
egyptian_mommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM
I agree with the others. My youngest had some tummy issues when we gave him cow's milk so we give him almond milk instead.
momofnatalie
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I ended up giving my daughter coconut milk and she did really well with it. 

la_bella_vita
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Quoting egyptian_mommy: I agree with the others. My youngest had some tummy issues when we gave him cow's milk so we give him almond milk instead.

Same here except my youngest is a girl

2boysmom48
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:46 PM

sound like a milk sensitivity, I agree with the others, give almond milk a go and see how he tolerates that 

belle2780
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:51 PM
My daughter and son had similar issues but they outgrew them at 4 and 5. For my son we did goat milk, it's the most compatible animal milk for the human body and offers a lot of the same benefits as breast milk or formula does for toddlers. Our daughter didn't like goat milk so we did almond milk. They can have most dairy products now but the yogurt and milk have to be organic or they get tummy aches.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)